Mowers. Who’s gone electric?
Thanks guys! I was #obsessing over my poor lawn situation the other night, checking out some Lawn Care Nut videos, turns out he reviewed it!! "If tesla made a lawn mower this would be it." Plus it has headlights and that's just cool.
Benny

Got the Ego Saturday morning. Glad we took the wifemobile, it baaaarely fit in the back of her Outback. Never would have fit in my Golf wagon without removing the car seat, and there's no way my 4 yr old is gonna miss a Home Depot run, especially if it involves mowers. I love that you can use the self propel feature without the blade spinning! And it is so nice being able to just quickly mow a tiny piece without worrying about anything else. The gas mower industry needs to catch on to the wheel adjustment with one lever thing...
Benny

What about the overall longevity of the battery on these mowers and battery replacement cost?
How does that compare to the lifetime cost of the gas models?

I know. I’m showing the bean counter in me lol
Ray
I figured I'd wander over to the HD site and look at them.  They look pretty impressive.

I wondered if they make a matching snow blower, and they do!  And the reviews are quite favorable.

I'm just chicken because my current lawn mower is a 6.5-HP 2-cycle beast, and my current snow blower is same (although a Toro).

On the plus-side, my wife would be able to use them.  And if I did the snow blowing, I wouldn't smell like exhaust for several hours.

On the down-side, a real whopper of a storm may be too much for the snow blower.
I find this interesting, as I have a push mower (not self-propelled) that I've had since around 1990 and haven't run in at least 10 years.  If I ever go back to a walk-behind, like for a new retirement house with small grass patch, I'm thinking it's not even worth bothering trying to get the old girl running again.  

A battery-electric with that kind of performance and battery capacity is looking real good at this point, and they're even self-propelled now.  
Cool

I've gone to battery string trimmer and blower, and I'm not going back, FWIW.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Never have and never will.
Anyone have a battry powered robot mower? Expensive, but they sure look cool. You never have to mow again.

John
(09-08-2018, 12:11 PM)TDKPE Wrote: I find this interesting, as I have a push mower (not self-propelled) that I've had since around 1990 and haven't run in at least 10 years.  If I ever go back to a walk-behind, like for a new retirement house with small grass patch, I'm thinking it's not even worth bothering trying to get the old girl running again.  

A battery-electric with that kind of performance and battery capacity is looking real good at this point, and they're even self-propelled now.  
Cool

I've gone to battery string trimmer and blower, and I'm not going back, FWIW.
I'd get that 1990 mower running before buying another gas mower.  If the deck is not rotted out, it probably has decent resale value.  Tolerances on new small engines are set so tight, that if they are a little off, they are all off.  Old engines as long as nothing was broken, they were repairable.
I happen to work for a battery manufacturer (battery packs, not the cells themselves) so I maybe have more, or too much, confidence in the longevity of batteries. I also know they can be rebuilt if you're adventurous.

If I had an older model like the ones guys have spoken about, I would have been more likely to keep it running. And if I had the time and interest to tinker with them more often, I also would have done that. But FOR ME, part of the value is the decrease in maintenance. I just have other things I need to do with my time, and the lawn doesn't stop growing if I need an extra week to fix something.

As for the snowblower, a single stage blower wouldn't cut it for me, gas or electric. I know people who have used one forever, but to be able to cut thru a heavy berm with my cub cadet has been a life/back saver for me. So honestly that depends on you.

Oh also someone mentioned walk-behind. I popped for the self propelled. And a cool feature is that works even if the mower is "off".  So I can one hand it across the yard carrying something no problem. Adjustable speed too. 

Also, I procrastinated in buying it for 3 days, and on day 2 we got a $75 coupon off $500 in the mail.  We got there, and they had dropped the price to 499, but it still rang up at 550. So the service desk guy went and got the sticker from the shelf and adjusted the price for us, and suggested I buy a snack to get it over 500. So my son and I had cookies too
Big Grin  So I actually got it a lot cheaper than I expected.
Benny

Mine is so stinking light weight, I don't see the point of self propelled... seems like wasted use of battery energy. I doubt I'd get all the way through my yard if all else was the same except some of the battery was used to turn wheels.