reverse rotation
Photo 
Is there a way to reverse the rotation on this grinder? It is a standard grinder. Rotation comes forward over the top. I would like to reverse that so I can use it to create bevels on tool edges and sharpening mower blades, etc. It's bad enough that it is a high speed grinder (I bring it to speed and then cut the motor, grinding as it slows down). Can I reverse the polarity or something to change the rotation?

Sorry. I could not insert picture. Grinder is a Ryobi 8" bench grinder - model bgh826.

Wouldn't it be easier to grind on the backside of the wheel ?
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(08-26-2018, 10:16 PM)jppierson Wrote: Wouldn't it be easier to grind on the backside of the wheel ?

I thought about that, but that puts the controls out of reach, although I guess I could use a foot switch. And I would have to take off the guards on this grinder.

Hoping there was a better option. Not an electric genius, but I was wondering if it was the type motor that I could switch the wiring and reverse the polarity.

Usually, bench grinders are set up with left-hand threads on the left arbor for reasons of safety, so that direction of rotation does not tend to loosen the wheel.  Not knowing anything about your particular grinder, if it were set up this way, I would strongly recommend that you abandon the desire to reverse it.  Most  are not electrically reversible anyway.

Regards
Bob
(08-26-2018, 09:58 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Is there a way to reverse the rotation on this grinder? It is a standard grinder. Rotation comes forward over the top. I would like to reverse that so I can use it to create bevels on tool edges and sharpening mower blades, etc. It's bad enough that it is a high speed grinder (I bring it to speed and then cut the motor, grinding as it slows down). Can I reverse the polarity or something to change the rotation?

Sorry. I could not insert picture. Grinder is a Ryobi 8" bench grinder - model bgh826.

I don't know about your grinder, but my old one had the switch in the base not on the motor housing.  So I was able to unbolt the motor from the base and turn it around.  I reinstalled the wheel guards "backwards" and I had a reverse-rotation grinder.

Mike
(08-27-2018, 09:15 AM)Ohio Mike Wrote: I reinstalled the wheel guards "backwards" and I had a reverse-rotation grinder.

Mike

Did you swap ends of the grinder with the guards?  Seems that would be the solution.
Wink
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(08-27-2018, 03:36 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Did you swap ends of the grinder with the guards?  Seems that would be the solution.
Wink

Then you also need to turn the shaft and rotor assembly end for end to get the threads right.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(08-27-2018, 03:36 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Did you swap ends of the grinder with the guards?  Seems that would be the solution.
Wink

If you want the tool rests to be correct you must swap the wheel guards (left becomes the right guard and right becomes left).

There is no problem with the threads that hold the wheels on because this procedure doesn't change the rotational direction of the grinder, only the user's orientation to the grinder.

Mike
Thanks again to everyone. A lot to think about and check out now.

OHIO MIKE - Have to look closer. Reversing the base might be possible. Have to see how the base and motor are actually connected. Also replacing not-so-great OEM tool rests with Veritas set up.

(08-27-2018, 09:48 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Thanks again to everyone. A lot to think about and check out now.

OHIO MIKE - Have to look closer. Reversing the base might be possible. Have to see how the base and motor are actually connected. Also replacing not-so-great OEM tool rests with Veritas set up.

I think removing the base and installing 180* is doable on that grinder.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset