4' x 8' x 8" foam panels
A house near my office is being remodeled.  There is a huge stack of what looks like 4' x 8' x 8" thick insulation panels.  (It could be 10" or even 12", I did not get out of my car to measure).

I found this product on the Internet:  http://www.usafoam.com/closedcellfoam/polystyrene.html

The 8" thick panels are $125. each and the 10" are $160. each.  

Does anyone have any idea what this is used for?  There were six piles of 8 each--48 total panels.  That is a lot of foam.  That is a lot of money--at least $6,000.00.

Sprayed closed cell foam 10" deep has an R-value of 60 to 65.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-31-2018, 09:28 AM)Cooler Wrote: A house near my office is being remodeled.  There is a huge stack of what looks like 4' x 8' x 8" thick insulation panels.  (It could be 10" or even 12", I did not get out of my car to measure).

I found this product on the Internet:  http://www.usafoam.com/closedcellfoam/polystyrene.html

The 8" thick panels are $125. each and the 10" are $160. each.  

Does anyone have any idea what this is used for?  There were six piles of 8 each--48 total panels.  That is a lot of foam.  That is a lot of money--at least $6,000.00.

Sprayed closed cell foam 10" deep has an R-value of 60 to 65.

If you see concrete trucks after the piles disappear.....I bet the are re pouring the basement slab after laying radiant. Thats a little over 1500 sqft worth of panels.....I cant imagine another application in a residential setting. Maybe under a steel roof, but it would be faster and cheaper to just spray the underside of the decking.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Freezer panels maybe?? But in a house would be odd
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I jave 2" under my concrete with radiant floor. It came off a school roof under the flat roof. Most extruded polytyrene is pink or blue. Dow or corning

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Sounds too thick for under a slab.  Was it white?

They wouldn't use 4x8 panels for ICF would they?  (sounds too thick for that too, but certainly thicker for forms than under concrete)

Were the structural insulated panels (SIP)?  These would be foam sandwiched between interior and exterior sheeting.  Used instead of stick built walls.
White foam does not go under slabs.  Basement wall insulation??? I'm not sure it would work for sound. as if they were putting in a music studio??

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Could it be for roofing
Correction:  Just 36 panels.  I rode by this morning and counted again.  Of course some of the panels could have migrated indoors.

The piles are still there.   They were originally snow-white.  Now they are turning slightly yellow.   

This is an old wood-framed house in a very low income area.  There are never any workers around when I drive by so I cannot see what they are doing.  Until I saw this stack of panels, the thickest panels I've seen are about 2" thick.  

Maybe they are making SIPs, though I thought they were made in factories (Structural Insulated Panels).:  https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/weath...insulation

SIPs not only have high R-values but also high strength-to-weight ratios. A SIP typically consists of 4- to 8-inch-thick foam board insulation sandwiched between two sheets of oriented strand board (OSB) or other structural facing materials. Manufacturers can usually customize the exterior and interior sheathing materials to meet customer requirements. The facing is glued to the foam core, and the panel is then either pressed or placed in a vacuum to bond the sheathing and core together.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-04-2018, 07:33 AM)Cooler Wrote: This is an old wood-framed house in a very low income area.  There are never any workers around when I drive by so I cannot see what they are doing.  Until I saw this stack of panels, the thickest panels I've seen are about 2" thick.  
Grow house and the panels are to prevent thermal imaging from flagging the house.
(09-04-2018, 02:59 PM)mad_planter Wrote: Grow house and the panels are to prevent thermal imaging from flagging the house.

Wondered the same thing. I know they bust "attic" growers in the winter because there's no snow on the roof and glaciers form on the exterior of the house from runoff.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS