4' x 8' x 8" foam panels
(09-05-2018, 04:49 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Wondered the same thing. I know they bust "attic" growers in the winter because there's no snow on the roof and glaciers form on the exterior of the house from runoff.

If they were trying to be discrete, then they have failed miserably.  The panels have been sitting on the front lawn for about a month.  If there is ever anyone around when I drive by I will stop and ask.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-05-2018, 09:44 AM)Cooler Wrote: If they were trying to be discrete, then they have failed miserably.  The panels have been sitting on the front lawn for about a month.  If there is ever anyone around when I drive by I will stop and ask.

It will be probably be something like "some friend of mine tore out a walk in freezer and had all this insulation so I said I'd use it"
(09-01-2018, 12:15 PM)JosephP Wrote: Sounds too thick for under a slab.  Was it white?

They wouldn't use 4x8 panels for ICF would they?  (sounds too thick for that too, but certainly thicker for forms than under concrete)

Were the structural insulated panels (SIP)?  These would be foam sandwiched between interior and exterior sheeting.  Used instead of stick built walls.

ICF uses blocks, stacked in a pattern.  Foam sides with integral plastic webbing. Webbing creates places for rebar to be installed and strips for external/internal wall sheathing/etc. to be installed. Treated wood frames for windows/doors. Blocks have centers spaced at 4", 6", 8" and wider(for the concrete).
(09-01-2018, 12:15 PM)JosephP Wrote: Sounds too thick for under a slab.  Was it white?

They wouldn't use 4x8 panels for ICF would they?  (sounds too thick for that too, but certainly thicker for forms than under concrete)

Were the structural insulated panels (SIP)?  These would be foam sandwiched between interior and exterior sheeting.  Used instead of stick built walls.

I missed this comment.  The foam panels are naked.  I will try to get a photo of the in the morning.
The only thing I can think of that would use those panels is a hot roof.  Not allowed by all code officials.
(09-06-2018, 02:48 PM)EricU Wrote: The only thing I can think of that would use those panels is a hot roof.  Not allowed by all code officials.

What's a "hot roof"?  If the panels were to fit between joists, they would have be cut; a difficult chore because of the thickness.
a hot roof is unvented.  Usually they put foam on top of sheathing and then sheath on top of the foam. I think 8" is about right in most climates.  I'm not sure that anyone uses that much foam on walls, but some installations are pretty extreme. I always thought the windows would be funny if you use a lot of foam on the outside, and you lose soffit space. Our house has minimal overhang. It looks a little funny and it's nice to have more overhang in rainy climates, which we certainly have.

I'm not discounting the grow house theory, but I think that white foam isn't the best stuff for wet applications like basement walls
(09-04-2018, 02:59 PM)mad_planter Wrote: Grow house and the panels are to prevent thermal imaging from flagging the house.

...not that growers aren't paranoid, or police always obey the rules, but thermal imaging is not acceptable without a warrant.

Besides...wouldn't they have moved to LED lighting?  Would thermal imaging pick that up???
I came back from the Jewish holidays and all the panels were gone.  It was just 3 days (Saturday, Sunday and Monday), so whatever it was used for, went fairly quick.
(09-09-2018, 11:25 PM)JosephP Wrote: ...not that growers aren't paranoid, or police always obey the rules, but thermal imaging is not acceptable without a warrant.

True, but its not very hard to get a warrant, "probable cause" is not a very high standard; observation, snitches, generally LEOs get their information from other guys they caught red handed and they roll on their buddies to save their own arse....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis