Jointer. 12" Crescent. - $500 (novato)
That Crescent has red flags all over it.  The fence is a big negative.  Home made and who knows it it is even straight.  Tilting the fence raises it off the table.  It must have been a babbitt machine since it is a two blade head and that means it is probably the dangerous clam shell design.  It was converted to pillow blocks and again, it was probably a back ally job.  You probably will never get a flat cut out of it. $500 may seam to be a good price but subtract the value of the motor and the rest is per ton.

It really is not an aircraft carrier.  That usually starts wider than 16" level.  If Delta or Powermatic offered the size, it is a hobby size.
(09-06-2018, 09:40 PM)aquaticjim Wrote: That Crescent has red flags all over it.  The fence is a big negative.  Home made and who knows it it is even straight.  Tilting the fence raises it off the table.  It must have been a babbitt machine since it is a two blade head and that means it is probably the dangerous clam shell design.  It was converted to pillow blocks and again, it was probably a back ally job.  You probably will never get a flat cut out of it. $500 may seam to be a good price but subtract the value of the motor and the rest is per ton.

It really is not an aircraft carrier.  That usually starts wider than 16" level.  If Delta or Powermatic offered the size, it is a hobby size.

Good points. But my spine begs to differ. If it hurts just thinking about having to move that hunk of iron...then it's an aircraft carrier 
Big Grin
Yes
Laugh and it sure is painted up purty
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(09-06-2018, 10:43 PM)alanealane Wrote: Good points. But my spine begs to differ. If it hurts just thinking about having to move that hunk of iron...then it's an aircraft carrier 
Big Grin
Yes
Laugh and it sure is painted up purty

I agree, they are heavy.  Its back when cast iron was cheap and they just used a lot of it in all tools. This one weighs about 1400 pounds. I have a slightly newer version of the same Jointer from the 1950's.  Mine has ball bearings, the original fence and blade guard.  Mine spent its entire life in a municipal shop at a waste treatment plant.  From what the operators indicate, it was used once a year to dress redwood for the skimmers.  It still had the original knives and even had the manual.  Government auction price was $480.