Portable Wood Storage Rack
Overdue for building a storage rack for wood that has accumulated over time; I'm sure most here can relate. It will live in my oversized garage which is contiguous space to my shop. I'd like something that is portable and can be moved when necessary. After looking at several designs online, this one seems the most practical.

Looks like it's made out of 4x8 sheets of 3/4" plywood but there are no dimensions that I see. It looks like the bottom could be about 3' wide, which would fit the space nicely. 

Anyone build one similar to this one? Ideas, comments, recommendations and dimensions welcome. 

Thanks,

Doug

[Image: cd9e2a0bd77615ab8a813ba498137678--worksh...zation.jpg]
Following. Im also looking for ideas but mainly for cutoffs and shorts.
I have what I would describe as a backless 12” deep bookcase secured about 6” off a wall.
It’s almost 7’ tall and allows me to store drops up to 30” long.
I use a couple of the 4’+ wide shelves for longer pieces running perpendicular to the shelf.
Not perfect but not bad.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I built something similar but with 2x6 and 2x4 lumber. Instead of bins for storing shorter pieces, I put horizontal arms on it to support the lumber. Shorts can be stored in the spaces below the sheet materials. Overall depth is about 30 inches. 8 feet long and about 45 inches tall without the casters. Don't use soft casters on your rack.
Wink
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I like this design as it looks like it will accomodate at least a sizable portion of what I have in storage at various places in the shop right now. Longer stock will probably require some racks on the garage wall. I'll probably just "guesstimate" the dimensions of the various bins and cubbies.

Dave, I hear you on the casters. BTW to all, how much weight do you think this rack will hold when it's full? Will determine the specs on the casters.

DT
(09-02-2018, 12:52 AM)Tapper Wrote: Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I like this design as it looks like it will accomodate at least a sizable portion of what I have in storage at various places in the shop right now. Longer stock will probably require some racks on the garage wall. I'll probably just "guesstimate" the dimensions of the various bins and cubbies.

Dave, I hear you on the casters. BTW to all, how much weight do you think this rack will hold when it's full? Will determine the specs on the casters.

DT

I haven't built one but here's what I see (and how I'd approach it):

Full 4x8 sheets for the two angled, central supports
The vertical cubbies on the right are then equally spaced at 2 ft.
The horizontal cubbies are then equally spaced at 1 ft. (vertically)
Go with your 3 ft. guesstimate for the base, use the remainder of that sheet for the vertical, front half wall (2 ft. tall) and the vertical cubby dividers (8-10 inches wide)
Use another sheet for the dividers in the long horizontal storage
Use 1x2 soft wood for your central shelf supports and 1x4 for the base

That leaves you needing four sheets of 3/4 ply, 8 1x2 8 ftrs., and 3 1x4 8 ftrs. for the base.

This suckers gonna be heavy from the ply alone, let alone when it's loaded up: recommend some big boy casters!

Let's see it when it's done!
(09-02-2018, 12:52 AM)Tapper Wrote: Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I like this design as it looks like it will accomodate at least a sizable portion of what I have in storage at various places in the shop right now. Longer stock will probably require some racks on the garage wall. I'll probably just "guesstimate" the dimensions of the various bins and cubbies.

DT

I'd guess easily 1000 pounds.

FWIW, I found an OK model of this cart in the 3D Warehouse. Not sure how accurate it is relative to the one in the photo but I'd guess it was modeled from the original article that rack appeared in. I cleaned it up. I'll e-mail it to you.
(09-02-2018, 06:48 AM)R. Sam Wrote: I haven't built one but here's what I see (and how I'd approach it):

Full 4x8 sheets for the two angled, central supports
The vertical cubbies on the right are then equally spaced at 2 ft.
The horizontal cubbies are then equally spaced at 1 ft. (vertically)
Go with your 3 ft. guesstimate for the base, use the remainder of that sheet for the vertical, front half wall (2 ft. tall) and the vertical cubby dividers (8-10 inches wide)
Use another sheet for the dividers in the long horizontal storage
Use 1x2 soft wood for your central shelf supports and 1x4 for the base

That leaves you needing four sheets of 3/4 ply, 8 1x2 8 ftrs., and 3 1x4 8 ftrs. for the base.

This suckers gonna be heavy from the ply alone, let alone when it's loaded up: recommend some big boy casters!

Let's see it when it's done!

Sam,

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts on the dimensions and materials needed. I had already come up with a "rough" estimate on the materials and had it pegged at 5 sheets; hope the four will do it.

Dougo
(09-02-2018, 07:16 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: I'd guess easily 1000 pounds.

FWIW, I found an OK model of this cart in the 3D Warehouse. Not sure how accurate it is relative to the one in the photo but I'd guess it was modeled from the original article that rack appeared in. I cleaned it up. I'll e-mail it to you.

Thanks Dave! Got the sketch and it will be invaluable when building this cart! It will be a couple of weeks before I can get to it, since we already have next week filled with activities with out-of-town visitors. Will post some pics when I'm underway.

Doug
(09-02-2018, 10:23 AM)Tapper Wrote: Thanks Dave! Got the sketch and it will be invaluable when building this cart! It will be a couple of weeks before I can get to it, since we already have next week filled with activities with out-of-town visitors. Will post some pics when I'm underway.

Doug

Happy to help, Doug. I'll be looking forward to seeing it when you have it done.