Anybody here have a 35mm film camera they want to sell or trade?
Look for a Pentax K1000 with a 50mm "normal" lens. The K1000 is an excellent camera to learn the basics on. They are totally manual cameras - nothing automatic about them. It has manual focus with a built-in light meter to help the user set the shutter speed and f stop. Your best bet is to buy one from a camera shop that will guarantee it works properly, that there's no fungus in the lens and that the internal light meter is functioning and accurate. You should be able to get a camera with a normal lens for about $100. Ebay has several for sale - some with extra lenses. Once done with the camera, she should be able to get most, if not all of her money back out of it.

Another camera to look for is a Minolta SRT-101. Like the K1000 it is a totally manual camera and should be priced around the same. They're both excellent cameras for students.
(09-03-2018, 04:21 PM)dg152 Wrote: Look for a Pentax K1000 with a 50mm "normal" lens.  The K1000 is an excellent camera to learn the basics on.  They are totally manual cameras - nothing automatic about them.  It has manual focus with a built-in light meter to help the user set the shutter speed and f stop.  Your best bet is to buy one from a camera shop that will guarantee it works properly, that there's no fungus in the lens and that the internal light meter is functioning and accurate.  You should be able to get a camera with a normal lens for about $100.  Ebay has several for sale - some with extra lenses.  Once done with the camera, she should be able to get most, if not all of her money back out of it.

Another camera to look for is a Minolta SRT-101.  Like the K1000 it is a totally manual camera and should be priced around the same.  They're both excellent cameras for students.

I had a Minolta SRT-101 Back in the 70s. I liked it. Don't know what happened to it.
Not sure where you are but if you have a Nextdoor.com group in your area post you are looking for one and you will probably find one quick and for next to nothing, possibly nothing.  Most people want nothing to do with film
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Thanks to the generosity of a wood netter my daughter will have  a camera in a few days.
(09-03-2018, 09:17 PM)Woodjets Wrote: I had a Minolta SRT-101 Back in the 70s. I liked it. Don't know what happened to it.

The Minolta was my first camera I bought as a junior in high school.  It was a solid camera with a fast 1.4 50mm lens.  Great camera to learn on.  I sold mine to pay for another piece of photo equipment.
(09-04-2018, 09:22 AM)Woodjets Wrote: Thanks to the generosity of a wood netter my daughter will have  a camera in a few days.

Cool
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-02-2018, 07:56 AM)Gansett Wrote: Just curious, when did you start? Nikon F's were  the camera to have when I started. That's if you believed the hype. But they were better than the offerings from Minolta and Canon at the time.

Early 70's was when I bought my own camera instead of using what was available.  Being too small was one of two problems with Nikon -- price was the other
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)