Handtools: Mid 19th Century woodies and Framer's Paring Chisel
Over this weekend I got into a 19th century joiner's box; mostly it was picked over, and while I generally don't buy wooden planes (as most are trashed in one way or another) these two were the exception; I also found a nice framer's paring chisel  underneath the jointer that someone missed!  Pics in Flickr album linked below.  So:

First is a 22" long, 3" wide and a full 3" deep (which is unusual, as jointing the sole flat over the years eats away at it, and widens the mouth) jointer, marked "H. Chapin Union Factory Warranted".  I looked it up in Pollack's Guide, and to my surprise, given its condition, it dates from between 1828 and 1860, read this:

[Image: 29493112187_21d33476ca_b.jpg]

Apology is the horn of the handle, but the sole is in good condition, mouth not too wide, iron marked Butcher Warranted Cast Steel, and it has a chipbreaker.  This tool is as found, I've not done anything to it.  As far as I'm concerned, its in excellent condition for a 160 year old (at least) plane.  Yours for the very reasonable price of $45 plus shipping, I got a good deal on it and am passing it forward; for all I know, as ole' Hermon was a pretty important maker, it could be worth a lot more.  All you woodie fans, here's your chance for a nice piece, with history, to put to work.  Teaser pic:

[Image: 29493116327_c498f0859c_b.jpg]

Next is a 1 1/2" skew shoulder plane, 9 1/2" long, in nice condition, marked "W.Williams"; I suspect it is of similar vintage to the jointer, again, in good condition, plenty of iron left, original wedge.  It is not often I find one in good condition, sole needs jointing and iron needs sharpening, but its got good bones, it is as found, I've done nothing to it; I have one very much like it I keep in my travel tool chest, a lot lighter than hauling around iron ones...  yours for $20 plus shipping.  Teaser pic:

[Image: 29493114787_be96872191_b.jpg]

Last but not least is the framer's paring chisel; thinner than the large slicks, this one has the Butcher "Maltese Cross" mark, an early one too, and is 1 11/16ths wide, total length 15", and meaty part of the chisel above the tang is a good 5 1/2", so plenty of life.  Back has some rust pitting but its far up the back, the working end is just dandy.  Handle solid, no real apologies otherwise.  Yours for $25 plus shipping.  Teaser pic:

[Image: 43522193255_b8a08be487_b.jpg]

Link to flickr album with more pictures:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...0832878517

As always, first PM with an unequivocal "I'll take it" gets priority, and please include your full shipping address so I can print shipping labels and quote postage.  I don't have paypal so payment old school via USPS money order; but if I know you from the forum then checks are fine.

Solid user tools reasonably priced, and in this case, with some impressive history as well.  Thanks for looking.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The jointer and chisel are pending confirmation. The shoulder plane, a good deal, is still available.
(09-03-2018, 12:49 PM)Admiral Wrote: The jointer and chisel are pending confirmation. The shoulder plane, a good deal, is still available.

Here's a picture of the skew sole of the shoulder plane, don't know why I didn't include that in the original post.  It will be a good user for someone.

[Image: 43547364565_8577427a72_b.jpg]
Shoulder plane is sold. Thanks to all for looking.