More Band Saw Work
After tuning up the band saw, including dropping from the 3/4 inch blade to the 4tpi 1/2 inch blade, I brought in another load of the 18" walnut logs and set up the Carter Timber Mill to make another pass of 90 degree cuts.  Before starting, I made some changes in the set up of the band saw to greatly reduce the dust.

First, I moved the band saw to a position nearly under the overhead air filter.  The second move was to move the hose from the Jet Dust Collector. Rather than plug into the port on the lower door, I took my folding ladder and ran the hose across the appropriate step and positioned the hose on the left side of the blade, about 4" away.  Huge difference in the collection of dust from resawing.  I think it will still work fine plugged into the port in the lower door for normal band saw use.

Running all the logs thru the Carter Mill took several sessions due to the need to take breaks, but I was very happy with the performance of the 1/2 inch blade.  I will order several of the 1/2" 3 tpi blades from the recommended source mentioned in the other thread on sharpening when this one gives up the ghost... 
Big Grin  I have about another 24 logs to run after these are sliced into 1" planks.

The Carter Mill has been everything it was claimed to be, and easy to use.  The only improvement I would like to see, is a POP in end brace, rather than one that you have to screw in place with allen screws.  I'm sure one of y'all with a 3d printer can design one.  I think a HOOK type protrusion on the bottom of the rubber foot that you insert into the slot of your choice, that is forced tight with the screw on the other end would work like a champ.  The other handy change would be a metal insert in the screw knob on the main end, that a large 1/2 drive bit would fit.

Then you could drive the knob with an battery powered drill in/out.  When doing a high volume of logs in various lengths, you spend a lot of time adjusting the Timber Cradle.

Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(09-03-2018, 08:41 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: First, I moved the band saw to a position nearly under the overhead air filter.  The second move was to move the hose from the Jet Dust Collector. Rather than plug into the port on the lower door, I took my folding ladder and ran the hose across the appropriate step and positioned the hose on the left side of the blade, about 4" away.  Huge difference in the collection of dust from resawing.  I think it will still work fine plugged into the port in the lower door for normal band saw use.

Just FYI, I have two hoses on my 40's Craftsman 12" I got from my grandfather.  One is under the lower wheel, as there's an opening in the bottom of that wheel enclosure into the wooden stand it sits on.  That made it easy to close off the dust collection box my Grandpa made in the stand and put a hose flange on it.  The other hose is connected to a wooden box with 4" flange that's bolted under the table using the existing pull/handle holes in the hinged lower wheel cover.  So it's getting dust directly from under the table, and also from inside the lower wheel enclosure.  

Both hoses tee into the original 4" x 4" x 5" wye adapter that came with my 2 hp HFDC that's now a cyclone.  
Big Grin

I'd have to remove the box under the table to tilt the table, but since I never tilt the table, I never remove the box.  
Winkgrin

Just something you might want to consider.  You could even use magnets to hold a box and hose to the underside of the table, or the face of the wheel cover.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"