Kerfing chisel for dozuki?
(11-17-2018, 12:12 AM)Aram Wrote: Interesting, thanks.

But you haven't told us what you've tried and how it worked. Give it up. We all want to know if you're defying the laws of physics. And if so, how.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
(11-17-2018, 11:47 AM)Jim Waldron Wrote: But you haven't told us what you've tried and how it worked.  Give it up.  We all want to know if you're defying the laws of physics.  And if so, how.

Me? I haven't cut half blinds in a while. Sorry, bud -- I got nothing. I will post if I get results worth posting. I'll probably play with the idea at some point.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
my first attempt at half blind dovetails was a harrowing experience.  So I haven't done it again.  I should try with a kerf extender.

I think the western tradition of woodworking is expediency above all else.  Go look at a museum piece sometime.  Nails and filler all over the place.  And I'm pretty sure if you could look inside a drawer with half blind dovetails, you would find they overcut to make it easier. The dovetails at the back of a drawer usually look like they were cut by a drunk 5 year old. I don't think that perfectionism in woodworking really took hold in the U.S. until relatively recently. If they could afford a piece of thin steel to extend a kerf, they would have used it in a heartbeat.
(09-18-2018, 08:30 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Link: https://www.revolvy.com/page/Tage-Frid?

Well Warren, I have no intimate knowledge of Tage Frid, other than watching a dovetailing video he made. On one hand we have the account of your friend, whom you hold in high esteem. On the other, we have the views of the American public, who hold Tage Frid in high esteem.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Every "master" had and has detractors. Innovators suffer more from an established majority that thinks it knows better. In a society that worships advertised names, even undeserved, you need to see the results to judge properly. Frid had many extremely good craftsmen come out of his classroom in spite of his dominating and demanding character.
I attended a workshop last weekend on joinery choices. The attendees were all comfortable with both hand- and power tools, and the discussions were about which to use was appropriate to use when needed.

We had been discussing finger joints, and how they could be created. The point made was that these were perhaps the strongest joint of all similar joints since the glue area was the largest. Discussion later moved to the design of dovetails, especially for drawers. The strength feature of finger joinery comes up here, as the strongest design for dovetails is actually the slimmest. The strength of dovetailing for drawers is undoubtely the mechanical locking it offers, however the angles do not need to be much to create this. More angle is, in fact, less desirable in regard to strength since there is more side grain-to-side grain glue area with several slim dovetails with a shallow angle, such as 1:8, than fewer broader dovetails with more extreme angles, such as 1:5.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(11-17-2018, 07:37 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I attended a workshop last weekend on joinery choices. The attendees were all comfortable with both hand- and power tools, and the discussions were about which to use was appropriate to use when needed.

We had been discussing finger joints, and how they could be created. The point made was that these were perhaps the strongest joint of all similar joints since the glue area was the largest. Discussion later moved to the design of dovetails, especially for drawers. The strength feature of finger joinery comes up here, as the strongest design for dovetails is actually the slimmest. The strength of dovetailing for drawers is undoubtely the mechanical locking it offers, however the angles do not need to be much to create this. More angle is, in fact, less desirable in regard to strength since there is more side grain-to-side grain glue area with several slim dovetails with a shallow angle, such as 1:8, than fewer broader dovetails with more extreme angles, such as 1:5.

Regards from Perth

Derek

So now I am wondering what folks think about dove tail keys in drawers/ box construction. Not something generally done by hand these days, but curious.
BontzSawWorks.net