Drawer slide selection help?
Question 
I've been asked to build this, or to see how much it would cost to build.  I don't even know where to look for slides like this.  Any help?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

I've seen library ladders made using barn door hardware and casters.  It seems so much simpler than this.  Even a simple ladder that hooked onto the side of the case when not in use and hooks in place when in use would be easier than this.  The drawer boxes and slides would have to support probably 250 pounds to be safe.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I can't tell from the pic, are they attached to the bottom of the drawer above? What's keeping them from closing as you move up and down each drawer/step?
It looks like that and I don't know.
Semper fi,
Brad

Seems to me a swing-out ladder would be a whole lot less complicated and durable.

My concern with drawer slides is the bending/overload possibilities and the need to get super-strong slides.

I'd look at some kind of roller on the bottom drawer to take the load.

But I'd still suggest looking at a ladder.
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
The advantage i see over using a ladder or step stool is a more stable base on which to stand hands free
I would just use regular full extension draw slides between the boxes and put casters under the bottom box
I would make some sort of positive stop so as to not fully extend the slides so the weight is better carried from one box to the next and then the weight will carry to the floor
The only concern would be sagging under a heavy person if the boxes are too wide for the person’s weight
Maybe reinforce with hardwood face framing for added strength
Ray
If I were to make that I would make sure there are some sort of wheels at the bottom.  I would not trust slides to hold the whole weight.  The stairs are all connected using bottom slides.  So when you pull out the bottom it will go out as far as possible then pull out the next and so forth.  You have to support the bottom step from beneath.  Hard rubber Roller wheels would be the best for this.  I do not have a source.  But you can build them by taking a few wheels and mount then on one axle.  Maybe even roller bearings that are used for outfeed tables.

Maybe something like these.  This site has others.

https://www.industrialmetalsupply.com/Pr...ls/rollers
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I like the concept entirely. A great way to use space. From what I see there are 2 problems. One, is how the slides can hold a lot of weight and the second problem is safety, don't overlook the drawers sliding and the person losing there balance and falling.

If I would build this, I think I can solve both problems. In the carcase of the cabinet, incorporate some sort of a lever, that can be pulled, that slides a big wedge, that is on the bottom of the cabinet, that would slide and snug up into the bottom drawer. This would stop the drawer from moving and take the weight.

I imagine the wedge would be 70% of width of the drawer and only about an inch or so tall, by maybe 12" deep or so.

Editing to add more: In fact, two long pieces of wood to act as levers. One on each side of the cabinet, can pivot outward and secure the wedge that is on the floor. Then the levers also act as something to hold on to.
After looking at the images on the designer's website of this bookcase, I don't think there are any drawer glides used. That's not to say you can't but it doesn't look like he did. Instead it looks like he fabricated guides from aluminum or steel channel stock. It looks like there are some small rollers under the lowest box and, when the boxes are fully extended, more than half of the upper box is still sitting on the box below. I think a combination of aluminum channel and something slickery like Delrin would be adequate. 

The boxes are made of plywood and the ones used as steps have a cleat on the underside of their tops to stiffen them.
Thanks, folks.

I passed the info on. She's decided to go with standard shelves and a step stool!
Semper fi,
Brad