Veritas Pocket Plane
So Lee Valley just released this cute little guy: Veritas Pocket Plane in both iron and stainless steel versions. I want one of the stainless versions, but I have no idea what I'd use this plane for, and I'm no longer interested in buying tools I don't/won't use. Help me out - what practical uses do you see for this plane? Can I consider it a small block plane? Something else?
Jason

(09-05-2018, 12:33 PM)Jason28 Wrote: So Lee Valley just released this cute little guy: Veritas Pocket Plane in both iron and stainless steel versions. I want one of the stainless versions, but I have no idea what I'd use this plane for, and I'm no longer interested in buying tools I don't/won't use. Help me out - what practical uses do you see for this plane? Can I consider it a small block plane? Something else?

You use it for taking a shaving here and there as required to make things fit.  Since it's in your pocket, you don't have to cross the shop or search under something else to find it.  

Cast iron has better "lubricity" than steel.  I'd go with that one.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(09-05-2018, 12:33 PM)Jason28 Wrote: So Lee Valley just released this cute little guy: Veritas Pocket Plane in both iron and stainless steel versions. I want one of the stainless versions, but I have no idea what I'd use this plane for, and I'm no longer interested in buying tools I don't/won't use. Help me out - what practical uses do you see for this plane? Can I consider it a small block plane? Something else?

Can I consider it a small block plane?

Yes...but a cute one for sure...
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

That guy fits into the LN 102/103 category. You gotta have one if the pocket knife is not convenient. Get it, even if the pocket knife drags your pants down your legs.
Would rather not.   Too much dirt and other things wind up in an apron's pocket.....

Would rather spend the $95 on a stack of lumber....already have an "apron plane"   as I keep mine in the plane til.  

A Stanley 100 might be a better choice.   I usually grab the Stanley 60-1/2 to use.   Fits my hands better.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-06-2018, 04:48 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Would rather not.   Too much dirt and other things wind up in an apron's pocket.....

I never wear an apron to work in my shop, let alone put anything in an apron's pockets. I have shop clothes and they are light. Adding weight to my body for 6 or 7 hours in my shop? Thank you very much.

To OP: That new pocket plane is given this description: "...especially in applications where a larger plane would be too unwieldy, such as model and instrument making." You can decide if you just want one or if you will use it often for your work.

We buy a lot of things that we seldom use in the shop, so utility is not necessarily the deciding factor.

Simon
(09-06-2018, 04:48 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Would rather not.   Too much dirt and other things wind up in an apron's pocket.....

Would rather spend the $95 on a stack of lumber....already have an "apron plane"   as I keep mine in the plane til.  

A Stanley 100 might be a better choice.   I usually grab the Stanley 60-1/2 to use.   Fits my hands better.

My vote also goes for the 60-1/2. Available commonly and cheap in my part of Pennsyltucky, so I have them laying around just like my reading glasses-everywhere! Very rare to find any vintage (even modern), that can't be made to perform.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-06-2018, 05:34 PM)Tony Z Wrote:  Very rare to find any vintage (even modern), that can't be made to perform.

True.  Even the Stanley planes made in the blue or (heaven forbid) maroon colors can be tuned to be great planes, as opposed to the bench planes in those colors.  Its really hard to screw up a block plane.  I'll buy the blue and maroon low angle blocks every time I see them.  Funny, the blue and maroon are 30+ years old..... so vintage???
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-06-2018, 04:19 PM)lhbmcc Wrote: That guy fits into the LN 102/103 category. You gotta have one if the pocket knife is not convenient. Get it, even if the pocket knife drags your pants down your legs.

Sort of, Bruce. It is small. It is really more like a #100.

A year ago I purchased the LN Violin plane to reach into small, restricted areas (OK, I thought it too cute for words and just wanted one  
Smile ). It is a nice plane, but the mouth was wider than I preferred (an easy fix with brass shim stock). It has been used for chamfering hard-to-reach spots.

The Veritas Pocket Plane arrived for a pre-production workout. It is all the Violin plane promised to be, but even better. It has a very tight mouth, so is optimised for fine shavings (unless you want to open the mouth), and the blade is adjustable with a full functioning Norris-style adjuster. The blade is PM-V11 ... what I was not sure about was the low, 20 degree bevel. I hone on the full bevel, so reground it to 25 degrees. And it is comfortable to hold.

Here it is used to create a very fine chamfer in a breadboard end (coffee table build for my son) ...

[Image: 14a.jpg]

Is it a necessary tool? Is any tool? Nice to use, and anyone who does have one will enjoy doing so.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Durn it. I had to open this thread. Now I've got to have one. I use my small planes quite a bit for model building. I have the tiny veritas block plane (about the size of a half dollar) and I work that thing like a rented mule. This one looks like it might have that hand feel similar to the small Stanley squirrel tail planes.

carl