A Project for the Boss
After she saw this...
Uhoh  

Little cabinet at a store called "ODDLOTS/ BigLots.      Since it is a bit smaller than what she needs, I have to expand this a bit.    Width is about right, at 54"
Height?   She wants it at 41" tall...this is 36"......depth is 16" over the top...can be fudged as needed.   However, some things will not be used..
No  

3" thick top?   Those metal brackets?  No.
No
No 

Stopped at a friends place, and picked up a stack of Ash 1 x 6 boards..
Winkgrin  

Was just 4 planks, but the 12' lengths were a bit much.   Cut them roughly in half so they would at least fit into my van.   Got home, also  unloaded this stack of flooring cut-offs 

These will get trimmed down a bit.   Will get used for the doors...  
Winkgrin  

What looked like a drawer...is fake
Upset .   But...I can make the entire door as a Frame & Panel item.   Euro style hinges?  NO, we have others to use. 

The cabinet has little feet thingys...that usually break off....I can do  better ones.   Bottom "shelf" is about 3" thick...really?    I think I can do a little better.    may use 1 x 3s for a face frame? The arch detail will stay.   Need to go and price & size a "Fireplace Insert" ( electric) and size the bottom opening to that.  

Hopefully, I can get this done, before the first snow flake flies by
Rolleyes 
Stay tuned for part 2
Winkgrin
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Ok....day one.   Picked out the shortest 5 planks in the stack.   hauled those to the shop, took two trips, but they all "landed" on the bench
Winkgrin  

These will get cut down, edge jointed, one will get ripped.....all to make two 14" wide panels...roughly 41" long.   While cutting off the worst areas...

Set four pieces aside...for the moment (before the Boss sees them)
Winkgrin 

Found my blue chalk line, snapped a couple lines..
Cool  

Not about to handsaw these....bandsaw also was having issues, it was trying to follow the grain, rather than get any of the blue stuff on it's blade
Upset 
After all the cutting..

Wound up with these 6 parts.   the two narrow parts will get glued between two pairs  of wider boards, to make a side panel.

Edges will need a LOT of work....will get out the bigger planes, and a rookie plane...stay tuned..the day wasn't quite over with, yet
Ok, time for the jointer?
Confused
Rolleyes 
Ganged up the two narrow parts, and clamped alongside the bench.

The Stanley No. 8 worked...IF there wasn't a bunch of high spots....then it would just hit those a bit, and stop cutting,  used a jack plane to get rid of the worst areas..
Rolleyes  

About time it got put to work, on a real job...
Winkgrin  

And will get used as a Jack plane.   Then the No. 8 could joint the entire edge.   Then turn the boards to do the other edges.   Decided to test fit one panel
Uhoh  

Back was getting a bit too stiff....decided to take a break, for a while.   Marked all four of the wider boards to show what a straight edge looked like, using one of the filler strips, and a pencil.  

Stay tuned, more to come...some dummy just can't stay out of the shop....
Rolleyes
Winkgrin
Decided, later that night, to at least get one panel  glued up.   Since the No. 8 was a bit much for the sore back a No. 7c was dragged out....
Cool  

Clamp one 1 x6 to the side of the bench, joint one edge, test fit to the filler strip.   The do one other 1 x 6.   Only doing the edges that will get glue.  When three parts would stack up without clamps and glue, and NO gaps showing...time to glue & clamp..
Cool  

Spread a bead of glue along one edge, moosh the next part left and right in the glue, until it sticks.  Repeat for the next part.    I made sure one end was lined up...less trimming to do at the top of the panel.    Bottom will get a foot profile sawn into it, LATER..
Cool  

I start with a clamp in the middle, then do the ends.   I add a caul on each end, to pull things flat.

Will let this sit a day, or so....let the back rest up.   maybe this evening, I can get the other side into the clamps?  We'll see..
Winkgrin 
Until then, stay tuned...
Trip to Menard's today...dodge showers all the way home...
Rolleyes
Seven 1 x 2 x8'...to build the webframes I need.  
Two  1 x 12 x 4'...center dividers. Pine, will be covered by face frames.....Main shelf above the $210 insert, will be a webframe, with a 1/4" plywood skin where it will show. 
Cool

May wait a while, before I go to the shop.   Had to use a block plane to adjust a swelled up screen door...
Rolleyes

Sitting here in front of the A/C Unit.....trying to cool me down.  
Winkgrin  

Will see how the rest of the day goes...stay tuned.
Good Greif Bandit.  You do more by 10am then I do all day.

Love the project.  How technical are you wanting to make the joints, drawers, and doors?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Have to wait and see
Winkgrin ...usually it is the K.I.S.S.  system.  

Waiting on a final dimension of the insert she is buying....

Bought the 1 x 2s to build a few webframes....and a pair of Pine 1 x 12s to make the center dividers with.  

Shop has been "Bug Bombed"...trying to get rid of all the pests in the shop.  Gave that a day to work......maybe in the morning, I can get a little bit of work done?
Confused 

Stay tuned
I built this one for my wife:

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae194...ed01b0.jpg

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae194...090d9f.jpg
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

quite a workout with that Ash compared to all that Pine you've been working lately. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Bandit571 I really enjoy your builds.  If you ever feel like it, please post a shop tour. I bet somebody could spend an hour or more just looking around there.

Thanks
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11