Today's lessons about making your own lumber
First:  it's a whole lot easier and better to paint the cut end of the logs instead of waiting until it's sawn and then painting them.
Rolleyes

Second: when you're working by yourself moving and stacking boards three 6" boards are much easier to move than one 18"
Sigh

And there is a humidity level above "muggy" but less than "swimming"
No
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(09-06-2018, 04:30 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: First:  it's a whole lot easier and better to paint the cut end of the logs instead of waiting until it's sawn and then painting them.
Rolleyes

Yep. Seems I mentioned that.
Rolleyes
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. And sometimes I'm quite happy my mill cuts mostly 6" boards  
Laugh

We had a humid day here too, ~90%. But temp was ~45F, with wind chill making 40...  And a nice light drizzle. To be fair it's easier to mill in those conditions than the heat, slightly. 

But I delivered a load of firewood, then found some inside jobs.
(09-06-2018, 04:30 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: First:  it's a whole lot easier and better to paint the cut end of the logs instead of waiting until it's sawn and then painting them.
Rolleyes

Second: when you're working by yourself moving and stacking boards three 6" boards are much easier to move than one 18"
Sigh

And there is a humidity level above "muggy" but less than "swimming"
No

Yes indeed! 40" 10/4 walnut slabs are expensive with good, back-breaking reason!!
No
Yes, yes, and...oh yeah: YES!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Milling lumber- at least the moving and stacking part is a young man’s job no matter what the humidity is

I had about 1k board feet of red oak that was rough cut - really rough.  I will be glad when I'm done with it.  I got it for $75 so I can't complain too much.  The time it takes to S4S the boards.  Then cutting around the parts you don't want.  I would do it again if i get a great price but my projects normally don't take that much wood - so I will be buying skip planed or S4S.  The price for me it's worth it.  I don't know how many days I have spent surfacing this stuff.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Spent a Sunday afternoon sorting my rough sawn wood. 

Found this on the bottom of the stack. 

It's a lump of Sheoak (Casuarina) that we cut last year. HEAVY, as I had to "walk" it around. 

The random cypress and cedar that I've got drying is a lot easier to handle 

Attached Files Image(s)