Finishing live edge slabs
I've been asked by son-in-law to finish large (roughly 11' x 3') live edge slabs for bar and counter tops.
Slabs (2) are 2 1/8 inch thick or so marked.  They are kiln dried to 10%, black walnut, about 85% heart wood, the sapwood
is a good contrast.  The bar slab will sit on 2x constructed frame with some type of beadboard facing.  The counter top will sit on
custom build base cabinets.  All painted white.

I've never handled anything of this scope before and looking for guidance on finishes, level of sanding required, and epoxy filling of through and some not so through knot holes.  They want a satin like finish.  I'm thinking GF armor seal or endurovar.
I think the first decision to make is to leave or remove the bark.  

If you leave it, the live edge looks more authentic.  If you leave it, you run the risk of bits of bark falling off or catching on clothing.  

I think epoxy will kill the authentic lumber look.  It will be too plasticky looking.

I've had good results with oil based poly.  I re-finished the table tops from a local Starbucks with 4 coats of Minwax oil based poly.  Ignore the label. It will take a full week to cure hard enough for duty.  The finish lasted 10 years of commercial use.  A good life span for a finish in my opinion.

I have no advice on the stain for this however.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
There are many videos on this subject:  

https://www.google.com/search?q=live+sla...47&bih=639
(09-14-2018, 01:11 PM)Cooler Wrote: There are many videos on this subject:  

https://www.google.com/search?q=live+sla...47&bih=639

Thanks cooler.
Agree on epoxy, the "customer" wants an oil finish, satin.  We are planning to do one slab underside 1/2 with arm r seal, and the other 1/2 with rubio monocoat.  And yes youtube is ripe with ideas and the like.
Will revert when finished.....
I saw a video (Holmes and Holmes) on TV the other day and he had a fresh take on this.

He ripped the live edge board down the middle using a track saw.

He then put the two live edges facing in and the cut edges facing out.  

He placed them in a form lined with some anti-stick paper.  He poured bartop epoxy in the center to create a clear "river".  The epoxy filled about a 2½ thick by about 5" wide void.  It also became the structural "glue" that held the planks together. 

He then sanded off the overflow and then polished the epoxy to be clear once again.

The show was just last week, so it is probably available on re-runs.  Use your TV video recorder and fast forward toward the end of the episode. It looked very cool.