Hinge help
I have had a small jewelry box for years and would like to make duplicates for my grandsons. The biggest issue is finding the hinges. First of all, I don't know what this hinge is called. It's basically a parallelogram that holds the top parallel to the bottom when the box is opened. The only hinge I’ve seen of this type is for an ottoman. Any help will be much appreciated. TIA Ned
Can you share some pictures to help us help you figure it out?
(09-08-2018, 01:24 PM)Ned Trout Wrote: I have had a small jewelry box for years and would like to make duplicates for my grandsons. The biggest issue is finding the hinges. First of all, I don't know what this hinge is called. It's basically a parallelogram that holds the top parallel to the bottom when the box is opened. The only hinge I’ve seen of this type is for an ottoman.  Any help will be much appreciated. TIA Ned

either a stop hinge or a stop spring hinge

https://www.amazon.com/Brass-Plated-Inside-Small-Box-Fastener-Hinge/dp/B001GH7DPQ

https://www.amazon.com/BQLZR-Hardware-Ac...B00QK6RUBU
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(09-08-2018, 01:24 PM)Ned Trout Wrote: I have had a small jewelry box for years and would like to make duplicates for my grandsons. The biggest issue is finding the hinges. First of all, I don't know what this hinge is called. It's basically a parallelogram that holds the top parallel to the bottom when the box is opened. The only hinge I’ve seen of this type is for an ottoman.  Any help will be much appreciated. TIA Ned

I know this is way to large but is this what you are trying to do ?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI8AdtMYtQXp0souAGe2P...IId13rCsLq]Roly

This is not what was pictured in another suggestion, but did a google search
jewelry box lift hinge
and found this

https://www.rockler.com/jewelry-box-tray-support

Bob
Sorry, I don't know how to reply to individual responses. First, I appreciate all the ideas. Roly is on the right track. As he said his hinge is way to big, but it is the right action. If I can figure out how to post a picture of my hinges, I’ll do that. Ned
(09-08-2018, 09:24 PM)Ned Trout Wrote: Sorry, I don't know how to reply to individual responses. First, I appreciate all the ideas. Roly is on the right track. As he said his hinge is way to big, but it is the right action. If I can figure out how to post a picture of my hinges, I’ll do that. Ned

I get what you're looking for, but I don't recall ever seeing anything like that from hardware suppliers that I use.  I would think that it wouldn't be that hard to fabricate it from aluminum flat bar stock, especially since you have the old box to use as a template.
Bob
Tackle boxes use those type of hinges. The tray hinges is what I am referring to, not the lid.
Maybe this helps:
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/61316
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Hey, thanks everyone. Some of the comments about aluminum or brass bar stock may be my best bet in making my own hinges. Guess you're never too old to try adding metal fabrication to hobbies! Also, thanks for the pictures of other types of boxes that use similar hinges. I'll probably try for a little longer to see if I can find some ready made, but I’m certainly not opposed to trying to make some myself. Thanks again. Ned