Lookng for arbor adaptor for old table saw
I'm fixing up an old 8" Craftsman table saw. The problem is it has a 1/2" arbor. Does anyone know where I can get an adaptor to increase it to 5/8"?
(09-08-2018, 03:56 PM)overland Wrote: I'm fixing up an old 8" Craftsman table saw. The problem is it has a 1/2" arbor. Does anyone know where I can get an adaptor to increase it to  5/8"?

I used to own one of those older 8" Craftsman bench saws. I'm not aware of any sort of adapter that will increase the arbor size, but you can purchase bushings to insert in the hole of your saw blades to bring them down to 1/2".
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Editor, Woodsmith Magazine
(09-08-2018, 03:56 PM)overland Wrote: I'm fixing up an old 8" Craftsman table saw. The problem is it has a 1/2" arbor. Does anyone know where I can get an adaptor to increase it to  5/8"?

Try Harbor Freight. They used to sell a set of assorted arbor bushings.
I'm not near a Harbor Freight. Is there another place I might be able to find these bushings?
(09-08-2018, 05:55 PM)overland Wrote: I'm not near a Harbor Freight. Is there another place I might be able to find these bushings?

Any saw sharpening service should be able to supply you with bushings.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"

If you have to, you can make a bushing out of aluminum stock if you have a lathe.....You can turn aluminum on a wood lathe using ordinary wood lathe chisels. The bushing really should be metal and not plastic.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Many grindstones come with reducer inserts. Snag one of those if you have some stones laying around.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-08-2018, 03:56 PM)overland Wrote: I'm fixing up an old 8" Craftsman table saw. The problem is it has a 1/2" arbor. Does anyone know where I can get an adaptor to increase it to 5/8"?

A 1/2" ID bronze bushing from the hardware store should do it.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
https://www.amazon.com/Freud-BL71MBA9-8-...B00004RK80

A little expensive but it is the right part.
(09-08-2018, 08:28 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: A 1/2" ID bronze bushing from the hardware store should do it.

Those bushings usually have an oversized O.D. and an undersized I.D. and will have to be reamed to fit the shaft and turned down to fit the blade, plus it cant be over about 1/8" in thickness..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset