Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger
(09-11-2018, 06:42 PM)Huxleywood Wrote: Complete myth.  The static forces add essentially zero to the work hardening of a blade.  

The impact on the longevity of the bearings is about 99.9% myth.

The biggest potential actual issue is causing a flat spot on poor quality tires when a BS sits for an extended time without being run.  

Doesn't cause any metal fatigue, either; that takes multiple, as in millions depending on load, of applications and removal of stress, or even cyclic loading without complete removal of stress, like when the blade bends (elastically) around the wheel then straightens then bends again and so on.  Worse if the stress cycles are reversing, like what a serpentine belt does on a car, though it's not metal. 

Metal doesn't get tired holding load, or bridges and buildings and the bar in everyone's closet would fall down from holding dress shirts and dashikis and those Hawaiian shirts that haven't been touched in years.
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I de-tension my two saws when they will be sitting for awhile because of the potential tire issue. Probably still not needed, but it's a habit for me now. I use the lock-out feature of the power switch to remind me to not turn on the saw when it is not under tension. A bolt, hex key, piece of dowel, about anything the right size diameter will work with the switches that have the lock-out hole in the On button.
I have a block of wood (marked) that I slide on the blade, to remind me to tension the blade.
I de-tension to keep the pressure off the wheel rubbers
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Myth or not...right or wrong this was in the instruction book that came with my saw.

(09-13-2018, 05:49 PM)Duane N Wrote: Myth or not...right or wrong this was in the instruction book that came with my saw.

The sell bandsaws with detensioners and crappy tires so it makes sense they would include that.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(09-14-2018, 02:43 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: The sell bandsaws with detensioners and crappy tires so it makes sense they would include that.

That really is the bottom line.  

The bands are simply a non-issue,if steel failed by any mode sitting under light strain the man-made world would literally fall down.  

Tires can be an issue but even cheap tires usually take weeks to "take a set" and will normally bounce back if the flat spots are left on the unweighted side for a day or two.
Good news is, after the tires fail, lots of urethane tires out there to replace them with for the Jet bandsaws.

I had to replace the tires on my old Jet 12" before I sold that and my Jet 16" (so not being snarky, just my experience with Jet bandsaws).

I also own a MM20, Tires are perfect and never detension the blade, and its tension is much more than on my Jet bandsaw.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.