Woodturning
I have to turn a column that I will need to split in two. Is creating a blank from two pieces and gluing them back together with kraft paper in the middle, a safe option?  Thanks.
I did a lot of split turnings for furniture as long as the glue has dried never had a problem. Items were split and attached to sides or made for draw pulls.
Bill
(09-10-2018, 12:52 PM)DougR Wrote: I have to turn a column that I will need to split in two. Is creating a blank from two pieces and gluing them back together with kraft paper in the middle, a safe option?  Thanks.

Thanks
(09-11-2018, 08:44 AM)DougR Wrote: Thanks

Didn't mention how large, but when I did some 6-footers way back, nearly complete parts were strapped with tape as a precaution.  Be careful when orienting the pieces that you don't end with dissimilar grain directions.  Climb on piece A should be the same as climb on piece B.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(09-11-2018, 08:44 AM)DougR Wrote: Thanks

I have done it both ways . depends on the turning and the application,  If it has square places that will keep it steady on table. or you secure it to a sacrificial board. If you don't mind losing the blade thickness. what ever is easy.
If it needs to be really flat  I have run them on a jointer after splitting.
With the paper I still run them on the jointer or sander to remove the paper.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(09-11-2018, 09:14 AM)Woodshop Wrote: I have done it both ways . depends on the turning and the application,  If it has square places that will keep it steady on table. or you secure it to a sacrificial board. If you don't mind losing the blade thickness. what ever is easy.
If it needs to be really flat  I have run them on a jointer after splitting.
With the paper I still run them on the jointer or sander to remove the paper.

I have done small turnings like Don said.  I keep both ends squared up and then run it thru the bandsaw.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
How big is the column? I've done inside out turning in a similar fashion but the pieces are only 3-4" long by about 2" diameter

Some options - leave several inches of waste at each end and only glue the waste areas, then cut it off when the turning is done
Glue it up and then wrap saran wrap tightly around the piece. turn a section, and rewrap after it's turned. when it's all done, take the wrap off and split it.