Curious about plane storage angle....
Looks like 17-degrees will be what I am going to need for the plane storage that I am building in my tool cabinet. (The wedge shaped piece that the planes sit on inside of the cabinet.) Out of curiosity, what range of angles have you used?

Thank you!

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
Last week I finished up plans for a tool cabinet in which the author set his plane till at 21°.  Another tool cabinet for which I did plans a few years ago has the angle at 29° off vertical. I expect part of what drives that angle is how much clearance is needed between the plane and the inside of the door as well as how much space might be needed above the planes for other tools.
Just drill a hang hole through the sole, drive a 16 penny spike into a rafter and hang 'em.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-10-2018, 02:56 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: I expect part of what drives that angle is how much clearance is needed between the plane and the inside of the door as well as how much space might be needed above the planes for other tools.

This ^^^^^^^

When I made mine, I built the box first, put in the drawers, then the cubbies, and after that just shimmed the back board until it looked right and the planes didn't impede storage on the closing doors.  I honestly don't know what angle it ended up.....

[Image: 12287651386_0821b0608d_b.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-10-2018, 04:08 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Just drill a hang hole through the sole, drive a 16 penny spike into a rafter and hang 'em.

I should take a straight edge and a feeler gauge to mine...they're all laying around helter skelter..probably all warped and useless now...
Winkgrin
Big Grin
Big Grin Hole plus nail is a good idea
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Mine are in a Dutch tool chest. Sitting flat on their soles.
When I get around to a wall chest, something like Admirals,
I plan on flat against the back wall with neodymium magnets.
Several of them for each plane. Just can't see a reason why
not, vs using up all that room to put em on an angle.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Do watch out for clearance on your totes

My plane till is ~22 degrees recline.
I like this pretty well; it fit the space and the planes are pretty stable when set down.
(although the shooting plane doesn't rest as easily as the others)

Matt
I have mine on their sides in a drawer made for them in my shop cabinet.  
Big Grin
Hope this isn't wrong somehow.  They can't fall.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Mark,

I will keep the magnet idea in mind. That will be a good solution if the angle does not provide for enough stability.

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
(09-11-2018, 07:58 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I have mine on their sides in a drawer made for them in my shop cabinet.  
Big Grin
Hope this isn't wrong somehow.  They can't fall.

Me too!

Semper Audere!