Kitchen drawer height?
(09-16-2018, 07:19 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: If using side mount slides, I always built the boxes 1" less height than the cabinet opening

I have no idea why you would ever need that much clearance between the drawer box and the frame opening, especially if the slides mount on the sides of the box. About 1/4" is all I ever needed. 3/8" might be more common.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
(09-17-2018, 07:38 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: I have no idea why you would ever need that much clearance between the drawer box and the frame opening, especially if the slides mount on the sides of the box. About 1/4" is all I ever needed. 3/8" might be more common.

Well, the drawer box has to lift**UP* and set into the attached slides inside the cabinet Ed
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-17-2018, 07:45 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Well, the drawer box has to lift**UP* and set into the attached slides inside the cabinet Ed

Apples and oranges you both are correct.

Ed is talking about ball bearing extension slides.

Stwood is talking about standard epoxy coated drop in slides.
(09-19-2018, 08:45 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Apples and oranges you both are correct.

Ed is talking about ball bearing extension slides.

Stwood is talking about standard epoxy coated drop in slides.

Ed did not elaborate nor say anything about slide type.

Ed just opened his mouth.....
Winkgrin
Uhoh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-19-2018, 09:29 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Ed did not elaborate nor say anything about slide type.

Ed just opened his mouth.....
Winkgrin
Uhoh

I guess so. Anything wrong with that? I've been using ball bearing slides for nearly 20 years. I've also built my own slides with hardwood and still never needed more than 1/4" clearance between the drawer box and the face frame. They still work today. Once in awhile I add a little wax to those.
(09-19-2018, 07:13 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: I guess so. Anything wrong with that? I've been using ball bearing slides for nearly 20 years. I've also built my own slides with hardwood and still never needed more than 1/4" clearance between the drawer box and the face frame. They still work today. Once in awhile I add a little wax to those.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that Ed.
Winkgrin  Just don't sneeze.
Winkgrin
Big Grin

Yes I understand the clearances for BB slides. After building probably 10,000 drawers with different combo's along the way. 1/4" is fine for BB slides.

I did refer to Euro side mount slides. Thus the *needed* 1" clearance, so you can get the box in the hole.
Yes

Hey how is your chainsaw polishing going? It's about time to fire up for firewood season.
I'll probably be starting in about a month.
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-19-2018, 07:23 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Absolutely nothing wrong with that Ed.
Winkgrin  Just don't sneeze.
Winkgrin
Big Grin

Yes I understand the clearances for BB slides. After building probably 10,000 drawers with different combo's along the way. 1/4" is fine for BB slides.

I did refer to Euro side mount slides. Thus the *needed* 1" clearance, so you can get the box in the hole.
Yes

Hey how is your chainsaw polishing going? It's about time to fire up for firewood season.
I'll probably be starting in about a month.
Chainsaws all running good. I just fixed a Husky 350 today that needed to be completely rebuilt - top end, carb, and coil. Now it runs. Here's the latest workbench I built to handle the hobby:

Sweet. Put that pic over in my workbench thread...
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-20-2018, 04:20 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Sweet. Put that pic over in my workbench thread...

No nails in this bench anywhere. Ir's all made with quartersawn oak, except of course for the back panel where I hang chainsaw bars, chains, and other parts. It took me about 9 months to build this bench. Much of the original idea came from a ShopNotes issue that was published in issue 75, about 14 years ago. The drawer units and the back hutch that also lights it up was my original design. I think those were improvements.

Frankly speaking, I love this workbench and use it daily. It's as strong as an ox.