prehung door for 2x3 partition wall
refinishing floor and trim in my 2nd bedroom.  Pulled down old door too-- replacing with a paneled interior solid core prehung.  My walls are all 2x3 (for non load bearing).  Will I have to take the jamb apart and trim down the width of the new jamb, or is there a better way to handle this?

Colin
The best way would be to trim the jamb down to match the wall thickness.  The problem is many cheap prehung jambs are veneer on particle bd or plywood so your edge might need careful repair to get the grain correct.  You might cheat on your trim offset to cover the raw edge though.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I replaced all the interior doors in my daughters house a few years ago.  It had one wall that was the same way.  The doors they bought had jambs that were veneered particle board. 
Sad  It would have been easier, had the jambs been solid wood, but my SIL didn't realize they weren't when he bought them.  By the time I got there to install them, they were already stained and finished.   Anyway I had to modify 3 of them and what I did was take them completely apart, rip about 1/2" off one finished edge, then rip the jamb again, allowing for replacement of that 1/2" strip to get to the desired width.  Then I glued the finished edge back on.  It was a PITA, but they turned out OK.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I'm thinking this shouldn't be as big of a deal for me, if it's mdf/particle, as I'm getting white painted doors/jambs.

Colin
(09-11-2018, 03:11 PM)Cdshakes Wrote: refinishing floor and trim in my 2nd bedroom.  Pulled down old door too-- replacing with a paneled interior solid core prehung.  My walls are all 2x3 (for non load bearing).  Will I have to take the jamb apart and trim down the width of the new jamb, or is there a better way to handle this?

Colin

Buy pine 3/4" stock and make new jambs to fit. The jambs that come with pre hung doors are usually finger jointed 5/8" crap to begin with. Measure for hinge mortise from the pre hung jamb. Save the parting strip if their is one , they are usually one piece , not finger jointed. 

mike
(09-12-2018, 01:01 PM)Cdshakes Wrote: I'm thinking this shouldn't be as big of a deal for me, if it's mdf/particle, as I'm getting white painted doors/jambs.

Colin

Perhaps, but you will still have a raw edge to deal with.  Granted, depending on the reveal you leave when you trim, it could be negligible, but it's one of those little things that would bother me every time I looked at it. 
Crazy
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(09-14-2018, 08:20 AM)re Wrote: Perhaps, but you will still have a raw edge to deal with.  Granted, depending on the reveal you leave when you trim, it could be negligible, but it's one of those little things that would bother me every time I looked at it. 
Crazy

Assuming the new jamb has removable stop:  remove stop, rip a piece of the outside, rip the amount you need to remove off the remaining piece.  Now glue the first rip to the remaining piece. You now have two factory finished edges and the glue line will be under the stop when it's reinstalled.
I was on a super-tight budget, so I hung a batch of doors in my mom's house where I built the jambs.  Really isn't that hard.  Something to consider.
(09-14-2018, 01:47 PM)EricU Wrote: I was on a super-tight budget, so I hung a batch of doors in my mom's house where I built the jambs.  Really isn't that hard.  Something to consider.

When I built my house 35 some years ago, I made all my own jambs.  They were just #2 pine, but that was what I could afford.  I've wanted to replace them all for years, but I still can't afford it. 
Laugh

good news is I didn't have to live in the house.  Someone bought it for their kid to live in while going to college.  Probably looks like animal house by now.