bowling alley material on SW Florida??
My brother is covering a 14' wall with built-in desk/computer workstations for his homeschooling..   It's all plywood cabinetry but he's looking for a "butcher block" style desktop..   I told him he should look to see if he can find an old bowling alley.

Any of you in the Southwest Florida area have any connections or know where he might procure such a thing? He's basically looking for a 14'x3' butcher block (or similar look/size) and he's in no way equipped to pull off making his own.
All the older hardwood lanes were full of nails. Made some tough cutting.
The newer ones, last 20 years?,many be different construction. I heard they were, but haven't ever seen the newer
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-12-2018, 09:50 AM)mound Wrote: My brother is covering a 14' wall with built-in desk/computer workstations for his homeschooling..   It's all plywood cabinetry but he's looking for a "butcher block" style desktop..   I told him he should look to see if he can find an old bowling alley.

Any of you in the Southwest Florida area have any connections or know where he might procure such a thing? He's basically looking for a 14'x3' butcher block (or similar look/size) and he's in no way equipped to pull off making his own.

Yeah, as noted, lots of metal and such in bowling lanes.  BTDT.

I'd get a 72" and 96" top from Grizzly.  Total shipped around $720, but is actually quite reasonable for what you get for the money, and he'll get the champagne look he wants.  Otherwise, if on a beer budget, I'd suggest laminating sheets of 3/4 ply, getting some contact cement and applying a formica laminate in the butcher block pattern.

http://www.formica.com/en/us/products/fo...home/00204

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Solid-Ma...hick/G9916

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Solid-Ma...hick/G9915
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-12-2018, 12:07 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: All the older hardwood lanes were full of nails. Made some tough cutting.
The newer ones, last 20 years?,many be different construction. I heard they were, but haven't ever seen the newer

Yup...what he said. I have had decent luck with solid core wood doors. Found some on CL for $25 each, 3oh by 8oh, brand new condition...not even any hardware prep.
Bring help, they're heavy, and want to slide (no sudden stops/starts in your PU truck, unless well bound)
You can always clad them with masonite or mdf for a sacrificial surface
I was a bouncer in bar back in the 1970s and the bar had long tables made from old bowling lanes.  It was about 4" thick and since the tables were a full lane long they were never moved.  I think it would take about 10 of us to move one.  Very heavy.

He could use some iron on veneer to replicate the butcher block.  If he does this right it will adhere well (he needs to have a pressure block to follow the iron while the glue cools).

https://www.oakwoodveneer.com/maple-edgebanding.html

They sell iron-on in 1-1/2" width which will replicate butcher block.  I'm going to do a walnut one using 3" width which will look more like a table top.  250 linear feet will cost me about $110.00.

A 30" deep desk x 14 feet is about 35 square feet.  One roll is about 62 square feet.  I am planning on solid wood edging for mine.  I think it will stand up better.  If the rear of the desk is mounted on the wall, and the ends are mounted on the walls, he will only need  two feet in the middle somewhere, or a drawer pedestal for support.  He could even buy a file cabinet of the correct height for that purpose.

He will need a durable finish.  I used 4 coats of Minwax's oil poly.  That was back when I believed the writing on the can that the finish was ready to use in 24 hours.  It really needs 200 hours for a decent cure.  So he should wait 7 days before using it.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
see if there is an Ikea nearby, they sell nice beech tops relatively cheap.  I've made kitchen counters out of them.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't realize Grizzly sold tops like that.. That's a really good deal considering the labor and material's it would take.. and my brother isn't on a beer budget, I know that much for sure!
(09-12-2018, 09:50 AM)mound Wrote: My brother is covering a 14' wall with built-in desk/computer workstations for his homeschooling..   It's all plywood cabinetry but he's looking for a "butcher block" style desktop..   I told him he should look to see if he can find an old bowling alley.

Years ago I built alleys for Brunswick. As mentioned the alleys have nails. The lane is made from  T&G maple , the approach and under the pinsetter is made from yellow pine.
The lanes are built vertically by nailing 8d screw nails at 4" centers and 8d rosin coated nails in between. Nails at 2" centers are tough to avoid. Dewalt makes a demolition blade that will cut thru the nails and wood. Depending on how often the lanes were sanded determines the final thickness, probably 2-1/2" + . The lane sections are heavy. 
We used to give the old lanes away. I charged $25.00 to cut to size and deliver within reasonable distance from the bowling alley. 
14'x3' section will take 6 men to lift and carry. Better off with a laminated top like suggested.
mike

For all your bowling alley needs go to ...
https://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.com/v...ategories/

They also have gym floors, bleacher wood, reclaimed tractor trailer floors and all kinds of neat goodies.  Unfortunately, you'll need to do a bit of traveling to get to one of their four locations.  Since I'm only a few hours from their Philly location, I sometimes spend hours on their site shopping for stuff I can't get anywhere else.
(09-12-2018, 06:03 PM)mike4244 Wrote: "The lane is made from  T&G maple , the approach and under the pinsetter is made from yellow pine."
Mike

I believe Mike has it back words.  Of all the bowling lanes I've ever seen the lanes are yellow pine and the approach and under the pinsetter are maple.

FWIW I picked up 5 sections of bowling alley lanes about 20 years ago.  Used one section of yellow pine on my garage work bench top and it's held up nicely.

Nelson