How often do you do maintance on your lathe
For me these areas are what I do.

1. Blow out the dust in the headstock area inside so no dust gets in the pulleys or on the electrical switches

2. Clean or file the Tool rest?  I check mine every time I turn on it.  I do not like any bumps or divots on my tool rest since they affect what I am turning.

3. Wax or oil the bed ways?  I also look at them daily and clean them and once a month or sooner if needed I clean off the old wax and buff it and then put on wax and buff it on the ways to make it water repellent and easy to move the banjo and tail stock I even do the banjo and tail stock also.

4. Check the belts?  I do it once a month but never had to replace them or even close.

5. Look the whole turning area and see what needs to be cleaned up or put away?  I do this everyday before I leave including vacuuming.

6. Sharpen your tools?  Me I sharpen quite often and before putting away the tools I used I resharpen them so when I go back to turning I know all my tools are sharp.

7. Check your safety gear?  Like your masks or shields or shoes or anything else?  For me I do all of this before I leave for the day so again I can go right in and turn.

8. ???  Do you have any others?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-12-2018, 06:11 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: For me these areas are what I do.

1. Blow out the dust in the headstock area inside so no dust gets in the pulleys or on the electrical switches

2. Clean or file the Tool rest?  I check mine every time I turn on it.  I do not like any bumps or divots on my tool rest since they affect what I am turning.

3. Wax or oil the bed ways?  I also look at them daily and clean them and once a month or sooner if needed I clean off the old wax and buff it and then put on wax and buff it on the ways to make it water repellent and easy to move the banjo and tail stock I even do the banjo and tail stock also.

4. Check the belts?  I do it once a month but never had to replace them or even close.

5. Look the whole turning area and see what needs to be cleaned up or put away?  I do this everyday before I leave including vacuuming.

6. Sharpen your tools?  Me I sharpen quite often and before putting away the tools I used I resharpen them so when I go back to turning I know all my tools are sharp.

7. Check your safety gear?  Like your masks or shields or shoes or anything else?  For me I do all of this before I leave for the day so again I can go right in and turn.

8. ???  Do you have any others?

I fly to failure on virtually everything above.  Clean what's obviously dirty, sharpen when it won't cut, and haven't had to file the toolrest since I got it, because I use an overhand grip, which means the tool doesn't bounce. 

For those with hanging motors not using link belts, de-tensioning after you're done turning keeps the "set" and the wait time for the belt to relax to a minimum.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(09-13-2018, 08:50 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: I fly to failure on virtually everything above.  Clean what's obviously dirty, sharpen when it won't cut, and haven't had to file the toolrest since I got it, because I use an overhand grip, which means the tool doesn't bounce. 

For those with hanging motors not using link belts, de-tensioning after you're done turning keeps the "set" and the wait time for the belt to relax to a minimum.

Since I have the Powermatic you are saying I should take the tension off of the belts?  If that is what you are saying it makes sense since it could be weeks or months in using it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-13-2018, 11:51 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Since I have the Powermatic you are saying I should take the tension off of the belts?  If that is what you are saying it makes sense since it could be weeks or months in using it.

You have a Powermatic electronic, correct?  the motor doesn't hang on the belts, so probably not necessary.  Won't hurt, though it might be a surprise when you turn on loose. 

Where the motor hangs, it has a tendency to jump when the belt set areas come 'round.  Aggravating on old medium grade lathes.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
My PM 90 had that issue until I replaced the belt. Was heavy enough that the friction sufficiently warmed and "relaxed" the belt after a couple of minutes, but was irritating at startup when cold.

The ribbed (not sure what to call it) very flexible belt on my 3520 doesn't have the same issue. not that the belt doesn't necessarily set, just that the overall weight and bearing strength is such I haven't noticed it.

I did have this issue on my Jet Contractor saw until I put on link belts though... that was a hanging motor style.

michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(09-14-2018, 01:18 PM)MichaelS Wrote: My PM 90 had that issue until I replaced the belt. Was heavy enough that the friction sufficiently warmed and "relaxed" the belt after a couple of minutes, but was irritating at startup when cold.

The ribbed (not sure what to call it) very flexible belt on my 3520 doesn't have the same issue. not that the belt doesn't necessarily set, just that the overall weight and bearing strength is such I haven't noticed it.

I did have this issue on my Jet Contractor saw until I put on link belts though... that was a hanging motor style.

michael

I have a link belt on my old South Bend metal lathe and one on my Walker Turner drill press......No vibes...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have the PM 3250b. I vacuum nightly and wax the bed once a month. I check everything periodically but overall not much housekeeping is required.

There is no need to un-tension the belts since the motor doesn’t hang. What the others are talking about is a motor that is below or hangs under the spindle head. This would apply to older lathes. Modern lathes this is no concern in my opinion.
Don
change the belt when the lathe picks up a vibration
Lube it when it squeaks
Clean the bed when the tailstock won't slide
Sweep when the shaving are deep enough to get in my shoes....I hate that
(09-14-2018, 11:08 PM)Angus Wrote: Lube it when it squeaks
Clean the bed when the tailstock won't slide
Sweep when the shaving are deep enough to get in my shoes....I hate that

Yes
Yes

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.