What wood is this?
There was a granite place in town that used to give away piles of the wood their granite slabs came in. It is very hard and sturdy. I took some with the intent of using it for a workbench. Recently I started surfacing it but I can't figure out what kind of wood it is.  It has a very distinct pinkish color that browns somewhat as it ages in the light.  I have been looking around at various wood identification sites and can not find a duplicate.  I have no idea where it came from aside from it was used for shipping granite slabs.  I'm hoping someone here might have an idea of what I'm working with.

Attached are a surfaced and rough pic.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like doug fir to me.
Semper Fi,

Barry
Spruce
Its cheap on the stump and used for bunk stickers.
Comes from up here in the NE along with the Granite.

The first picture looks like it has some hemlock mixed in.
Designed by Ray Charles... Built by Stevie Wonder...
Whatever wood it is, make sure it is free of bugs/worms etc. before you put it in your shop!

I know someone who had got free recycled pallet wood which caused a havoc to his other stock. In addition, make sure it is not toxic (because of any chemical treatment done to it).

Simon
It does look spruce like based on the pics I found. Although, the internet says spruce is a soft wood like pine and this stuff is very hard. Maybe it ages hard? This wood also doesn't have the grain like pine you see in 2x4s and the like.
Could be southern yellow pine.  You're in the south where it's native, and when the resins cure, it's very hard.  Lots of SYP in the Panhandle.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The light colored stuff looks like either maple or cotton wood.  The other stuff looks like either Cherry or Pine.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-13-2018, 10:00 AM)stav Wrote: There was a granite place in town that used to give away piles of the wood their granite slabs came in. It is very hard and sturdy. I took some with the intent of using it for a workbench. Recently I started surfacing it but I can't figure out what kind of wood it is.  It has a very distinct pinkish color that browns somewhat as it ages in the light.  I have been looking around at various wood identification sites and can not find a duplicate.  I have no idea where it came from aside from it was used for shipping granite slabs.  I'm hoping someone here might have an idea of what I'm working with.

Attached are a surfaced and rough pic.

Pallet wood.  Any hardwood that won't make #2 common grade.  As mentioned, you may have a few varieties there.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Looks like Sweet Gum to me.....Where did the granite come from...that may provide a clue. Gum is a great pallet wood because of it's strength and availability, particularly in the south.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have no idea where the granite was sourced from. I'm not sure I could even find the place I got it again. This wood has been sitting in my shed for probably 10 years waiting for me to get moving. 

I'm reasonably sure that it is all the same wood. It all feels the same when you work it. It just has variations in color from piece to piece. The grain is more or less the same.  I'll try to get some better pics. The sun was going down last night so the lighting was pretty poor for my old camera.