Garage door plan - comments welcome
(09-16-2018, 05:53 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Hey all,

Thanks for the thoughts and feedback.  Sounds like I'm at least headed in the right direction in general.

Interesting to know.  I'll keep that in mind.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on disadvantages.  I've read a fair amount about them and have encountered very few negative comments.  And, not sure if you're saying it or not, but the Clopay doors use torsion springs that you can tighten with a drill, I believe.  I'll have to verify.

I don't have permanent heat in the garage, but I use space heaters sometimes in the winter.  And in the summer, it can be a bit uncomfortably hot in the garage.  Given that I have living spaces above the garage, I think the better insulation will help with my overall energy bill and will make the garage a bit more comfortable year-round.

Can you expand upon why you'd recommend regular torsion springs instead of the easy set ones?

I've thought about windows.  My neighborhood doesn't really have security problems, so that isn't an issue.  Do your windows allow enough light to make a difference when working on (and more importantly, finishing) a project?  I have to imagine the garage lights would still be the dominant light source.  A few years ago, I outfit my garage with a bunch of those 4' LED bulbs from Costco and it is now BRIGHT in there.  No issues with lack of light anywhere.  So, given that I already have adequate light, I don't see value in paying extra for windows (and losing some insulation).  If I need sunlight, I can always open the garage doors.

Interesting thought about the colors, and certainly worth being aware of.  I mostly didn't want to get them at the same time because I don't currently have a great place to put them (my garage is FULL).  I'll have to think about that.

I don't really like the current doors.  I believe they're the original builder's grade (37 years old).  Minimal insulation, worn tracks and wheels, extension springs, and a chain opener.  It is very loud in the bedrooms above the garage, to the point where I don't use the automatic opener when anyone is asleep.  I realize that some of this could be decreased by tuning up the garage doors, but there's not really an aspect about them that I actually like at the moment.  Seems like a good reason to change.

Thanks!
Tyler

In answer to your question about windows in the doors, in my estimation they are a huge plus. I have a separate workshop so do not do woodworking projects in my garage (my shop is contiguous). However, it's always nice to have natural light and outside awareness when in the garage with the doors closed. Again, I highly recommend it.

Doug
fredhargis Wrote:I was unaware that Clopay made doors with the drill tightned springs, it was on;y in the above post I learned they made the Ideal line sold by Menards (and others, I guess).
I looked at their website again, and they state that the "EZ-SET comes standard on select Clopay garage doors or it can be special ordered through a distributor." I haven't figured out which doors actually have them and which don't, but it's certainly something I'll keep an eye on.

Tapper Wrote:In answer to your question about windows in the doors, in my estimation they are a huge plus. I have a separate workshop so do not do woodworking projects in my garage (my shop is contiguous). However, it's always nice to have natural light and outside awareness when in the garage with the doors closed. Again, I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll certainly think about it. The downside is that they add $222 to the cost per door (double pane insulated glass, frosted), at least at Home Depot.

Thanks,
Tyler
I used to be in the no widows club....not anymore. It's so nice to see inside the shop when the lights are off, no more stumbling around in the dark because there isn't a light switch at the back door.

Ed
For weather seals and other garage door items check out www.garagedoorstuff.com
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(09-17-2018, 12:05 PM)OneStaple Wrote: I looked at their website again, and they state that the "EZ-SET comes standard on select Clopay garage doors or it can be special ordered through a distributor."  I haven't figured out which doors actually have them and which don't, but it's certainly something I'll keep an eye on.

Thanks for the thoughts.  I'll certainly think about it.  The downside is that they add $222 to the cost per door (double pane insulated glass, frosted), at least at Home Depot.

Thanks,
Tyler

I get it, but just remember you only pay for it once. You get to enjoy the windows/doors as long as you live in the house. Might also add value should you decide to move later. Just a thought.

Doug