Veritas Shooting Board: Outstanding!
(09-15-2018, 09:03 PM)Admiral Wrote: Well, when you just get the fence, you have to drill some fairly precise holes in your existing board for a threaded insert for the lock down lever, and to epoxy in another insert for the pivot bolt; then set the detent plate, align and set in the micro adjuster gauge.  Nothing anyone can't handle, forstner bits help with the holes, but you align it yourself.  The instructions, as usual, are very clear.

Your description should convince most , if not all, of those who are sitting on the fence between getting the fence alone vs the whole shooting board to get the whole shooting board! Not to mention this adjustable shooting board is cheaper than other commercial fixed angle shooting boards.

I have also tried shooting boards other woodworkers made and frankly, theirs did not meet my standards. If I don't already have a reliable shooting board made and tuned for years, I would jump into this new shooting board without a second thought.

Simon
Hi Philip — I actually ordered the fence alone not realizing that LV offered the complete shooting board setup. The fence arrived Friday and I immediately returned it and ordered the complete package after I saw it listed in their catalog. You’re correct that after ordering the track ($50) paying the additional $40 for the complete factory was no issue for me since I would also have to buy the plywood. I hope to see the package next week. Yup I do have the LV shooter.
My  experience with shooting boards is that they go out of square over time due to wood movement.  It really bugs me to have to dial in squareness every time I need to use the board because the process can take 15 minutes of setting and checking before use.  Does this fence have any provision for quickly getting back to square?  By the way, my rig is the baltic birch plywood ramp type that was popular a few years ago.
(09-16-2018, 10:25 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: My  experience with shooting boards is that they go out of square over time due to wood movement.  It really bugs me to have to dial in squareness every time I need to use the board because the process can take 15 minutes of setting and checking before use.  Does this fence have any provision for quickly getting back to square?  By the way, my rig is the baltic birch plywood ramp type that was popular a few years ago.

Yes.  Essentially you drill two holes in the board (3/8 and 3/4) and install a plate with detent holes in it, which is secured to the board with pan head screws in oval holes; you adjust the fence/plate combination square with the working edge of your board, installing the screws in the center of the oval, so there is plenty of room to adjust over time for wood movement, jostling, whatever.  You would just loosen the screws, re-align, and Bob's your uncle.  Pretty well thought out fence.

Take a peek at the instructions linked to the fence on the LV website and you'll see what I mean (admittedly they are a bit easier to understand when you have the parts sitting in front of you).
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-16-2018, 10:25 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: My  experience with shooting boards is that they go out of square over time due to wood movement.  It really bugs me to have to dial in squareness every time I need to use the board because the process can take 15 minutes of setting and checking before use.  Does this fence have any provision for quickly getting back to square?  By the way, my rig is the baltic birch plywood ramp type that was popular a few years ago.
Since the Veritas is metal it shouldn't move like wood jigs and will hold angles better. 
A concern I have is size. Looking at the sample images, I would want it about double its current size. Then, there is the other side of the cornice to true up.
Confused
(09-16-2018, 10:45 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Looking at the sample images, I would want it about double its current size. 

Actually, its ok in use.  If you need a larger registration surface for the work, attach a larger auxiliary fence.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Added a French cleat to the board today: it has a home in my shop.

Attached Files Image(s)