Quest machine found! 12" Clement jointer
Yup. Inner race is wider. Several listings labeled them as felt seal.

What's that mean?
Semper fi,
Brad

Grease zerks on your bell ends?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Nope. No zerks.

I don't get it.
Semper fi,
Brad

(09-24-2018, 04:29 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Nope.  No zerks.

I don't get it.

Same here. Maybe they just greased the bell end so rust wouldn't encase the outer part of the bearing.
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-24-2018, 03:02 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Yup.  Inner race is wider.  Several listings labeled them as felt seal.

What's that mean?

Once upon a time, they used a ring of felt with a metal shield to hold it in place, rather than the rubber contact seals used now.  The 88xxx series have a wide inner race and a narrow outer race with seals on both sides, while 87xxx series are the opposite.  I think (from memory).  There's an asymmetric type too, but I don't remember the designation.

My old Delta wood lathe uses felt-seal bearings in the headstock, but the bearings haven't actually had felt in them in many decades, probably since the lathe was new.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Painting and reassembly are almost done.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Lookin good...............................
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I missed this thread a couple weeks ago, nice score!

Regarding the bearings, if it were me I’d call accurate bearings and order new ones. I’ve tried to keep old bearings on a motor or two and just about always end up replacing with new sealed and don’t have to worry about them.

Also, I learned the hard way not to ever run straps over an edge of sharp cast iron. I hauled a Uni upright one time (instead of upside down like usual) and all the straps where just about cut through after about 20 minutes of driving. You jointer likely had eased edges, but it’s still something I watch for each time.

Your making fast progress too! Took me months to do my Northfield 12”.
That is turning out very nicely.
I've already replaced the bearings on the motor; the cutter head will be next (I've called Lynne at Accurate MANY times!). There are no sharp edges on the tables--the corners are rounded over. I also stopped several times during the trip to check the straps and ensure there wasn't any fraying; I had several spares on hand just in case.

The progress on this one *needs* to move quickly. I have my 8" up for sale and will need this one ready to go if it sells--I have several projects in the queue after I finish the entertainment center for my wife! I also know me--if I stop moving on it, it'll fall off the radar and never get done.
Semper fi,
Brad