Magazine for a Beginner?
What woodworking magazine wood you suggest for a beginner wood worker. He as some experience with table saws and band saws, but he’s never used a router or planer and never seen a jointer.
I always thought WOOD magazine was good for a beginner. It and Woodsmith were what I learned most from. I don't get WOOD anymore but I'm still a Woodsmith subscriber. I also got (and still get) Fine Woodworking. Early in my learning process I looked at it to keep me motivated to get as good as some of those guys!

Frank
I've always enjoyed Woodsmith, Wood and Shopnotes.  Lots of good stuff in all of them.  Wood and Shopnotes have a lot that can help out a beginner.  Woodsmith has a good range of projects with pretty complete plans that most anyone can tackle. 

If you are in the area (Central Florida), I have a bunch of Woodsmith and Shopnotes I am trying to part with (no charge) in preparation for a move.  66 lbs of them.
Not really a magazine but there are many teachable chapters in Tom Hintz's book, https://www.amazon.com/New-Woodworker-Ha...r+handbook , The New Woodworker Handbook.
(09-18-2018, 08:04 AM)David Stone Wrote: What woodworking magazine wood you suggest for a beginner wood worker. He as some experience with table saws and band saws, but he’s never used a router or planer and never seen a jointer.

Like buying a hand tool, try it before you buy if you can. Have him sample the pages of the Wood, Woodsmith, Woodworker's Journal and Woodcraft at a newsstand before committing to a subscription. If he likes digital, he can get two magazines if not more for the price of one print subscription.

Many old issues (some not too old) are dumped by their owners on craiglist, ebay, garage sales, woodworking clubs. Second hand book stores may sell them cheap, too, as more and more people go for the digital archives.

Fine Woodworking is suitable only when he gets to certain skill level. For inspirations, the pinterest has tons of projects of all levels -- free. Better save the money for lumber or tools.

At this stage, he should develop a good knowledge and awareness of shop safety. Once he develops some bad habits, he is liable to hurting himself badly down the road. It does not matter whether you have had 4 or 40 years under your woodworking belt. Machines hurt or kill indiscriminately. He should be careful of what he finds on youtube -- which is full of cowboys (and girls) making woodworking videos!

For books, most libraries have what a beginner wants and needs -- again, free. Save his money for lumber, if not for tools.

Simon
I'll have to echo the statement about YouTube. He has to be very careful trying to learn a technique on there. I watch more for inspiration.
Wood magazine and Woodsmith as already said. Don’t forget New Yankee Workshop videos are available moe

As others have suggested, Woodsmith and Wood Magazine are the 2 magazines I've subscribed to over the years. There are numerous other free and subscription services on line. One of my favorite is Wood Workers Guild of America. Some of the site is available at no cost. Depending on your membership level, you can access various areas of the web site. George Vondriska is a terrific teacher keeping things understandable. Here's the website: https://www.wwgoa.com
When I joined this forum 15 years ago, I read almost every post on the general woodworking and power tool forums for the whole year that they are available.  (It did take several months.)  I had done a little woodworking, but I soon became amazed at the small amount I knew and was surprised that I hadn't been killed doing some of the more stupid things possible with power tools.   I recommend that you read everything you can on these forums. 

I also subscribed to several magazines and read others in our town library.  Some of those magazines no longer exist, but the ones that still do can be valuable.  I also endorse what others have said about certain books.  There are excellent ones. 

Another important resource is youtube.  If you want to learn how to do something, there are probably at least several videos about it.  But don't stop with just one video on a subject:  There are idiots who don't really know what they are doing who post videos.  If you value your bodily integrity and various  appendages, as well as your general health, read and watch alternative sources.  Sometimes one way of doing something is as good as another and just a matter of preference.  However, sometimes somebody's methods and advice can lead to a new nickname involving the reduced number of your digits. 

Research all that you can about how to do things.  Then do them.   At fist there will be timidity and uncertainty.  But after a few slow and halting tries, you will learn what the process feels like. Your confidence and skill will increase.  Complacency, however, should not increase.  Taking care is always important.
I’d suggest old FWW magazines from the eighties. Those were the good ones. A good library ought to have them.