Magazine for a Beginner?
I have been writing articles for Woodworker’s Journal, and Woodcraft since 2000. I even have done a couple of articles for Wood. Nearly all of my published articles are available as free PDF downloads on my website, Woodcademy. There is a page for the articles.

Tell him to check out the whole site, lots of videos and other free stuff there as well, including my Woodcademy TV show.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I'm a long time subscriber to Wood and Woodsmith, and think both of them are excellent as a place to start. But to echo one of the suggestions above, look at copies of several and see if one looks better than others, he/she might try a library first....buying them one at a time is incredibly expensive.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Have him go to Half Priced Books and browse their old woodworking magazines. Pick out the ones he likes for $.25. Can't beat it.
I found Shopnotes to be great when I was starting. Most of the projects I made back then were things for the shop which meant I didn't necessarily toss the project if there was an aesthetic issue. Once I had learned how to use the tools properly it made projects for the house a lot less intimidating. Then I started using Woodsmith for ideas.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Check your local library. Some have physical copies of subsriptions; some have digital subscriptions. Some also have ebooks you can read on your Kindle, Nook, etc.

Thanks everyone.  I went with Woodsmith, which was always very helpful for me.
The real bummer is that I just sent about 4 years of Woodsmith, Fine Woodworking, Wood, and others to the recycling bin.

I have 66lbs of Woodsmith you can have.
For what it's worth, when I was a novice (or more of a novice than I am now) I found even Wood to be fairly intimidating. There didn't really seem to be anything that would help actual beginners and you might find one project in a given issue that you could, with some challenge, complete.

Trial and error is probably a good way to get started, and local classes (Woodcraft if available) as some of those actually do help beginners.
I quit taking Woodsmith.  Too many irrelevant articles and the "Tips" section is just a little anal for me.

Rather than a magazine I would suggest subscribing to a couple ww'ing internet sites like Paul Sellers or Charles Neill.

You will get the best of both hand tool and power tool worlds.