Benchtop spindle sander
I have the old original gray Rigid, and use it a lot. About 15 years old and works great.
I've never really needed a spindle sander, but I think if the need arose, I would go with a heavy floor model that had an actual normal (replaceable) electric motor and had interchangeable spindles from say 1/2" to 2".
I've had my fill long ago of toy trinket machines that really didn't do a good job.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

This is the one I own. Works great, excellent dust collection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DP...UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for all the info guys.
I agree, I didn't like using the drums on the drill press.
I will do some research and decide on the spindle sander.
jim
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I have the Ridgid. Happy with it. Having the option of a spindle or belt has been nice

I also have the rigid and really like it. It is the only non hand held sander I have. I use the spindles for inside curves and the belt for outside curves. I had an small craftsman 4x6 belt and disc that I hated to use. The rigid is great to use always meets my needs
Gary
Keep a lookout for a used Clayton.....

Ed
(09-19-2018, 07:27 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I'm thinking the next tool added to the shop might be a spindle sander.  
What say you?

I've got the JET benchtop, though it ain't cheap any more.  Two considerations are the length of stroke - as always, longer = better, and length of spindle, so you can put a false table on and extend the life of your paper. I learned not to go against the wind of the paper by inverting, rather elevating.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(09-19-2018, 07:38 AM)Lucky Irish Wrote: I've had the Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander for about 12(?) years and have had no problems with it at all. I think they run about $200.

I have that one too.  It is "key" operated, and if the key is not plugged in, it won't work.  I lost the key and Home Depot was not able to order a replacement.  I did find one on line, but crappy service on that end.

It works well, and offers lots of options including my favorite, a 4" belt sander option.  It seems very noisy.  Louder than my table saw.  I don't wear ear protection, but I probably should.  

But as a value leader I think it is a good option.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-19-2018, 07:27 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I'm thinking the next tool added to the shop might be a spindle sander.  The woodcraft flyer in yesterday's mail has their woodriver  benchtop model 157889 on sale at $139, $50 off.  This is one of those tools that is great when you need it and a time saver.  I see it used for sanding drawer cavities, curves, shaping and the like on bandsaw boxes, and the shaping of knife scales.  For the last twenty years plus, I have used a couple drums chucked into the drill press. 
Big Grin  They worked... but I think the spindle sander might do a bit better.

Like Johnny Five... I crave input.
Brands, models, options, pros and cons...
Quality and price.. or rather than the spindle sander?
(I have a benchtop disc/belt combo)

What say you?

Jim,
I think they're all the same just different paint color.  Home Depot has their spindle sander at $104.

Lonnie