Insulation question
I have a couple rolls of R30 ceiling insulation taking up space in my garage. My daughter bedroom is always the hottest in the summer and coldest in the winter so I was thinking of putting the insulation in the attic over her bedroom. There is blown-in insulation up there deeper than the rafters. Would there be any negative affect putting the roll insulation on top of the blown-in? There is no clearance issue with the roof rafters.
(09-19-2018, 11:57 AM)Bope Wrote: I have a couple rolls of R30 ceiling insulation taking up space in my garage. My daughter bedroom is always the hottest in the summer and coldest in the winter so I was thinking of putting the insulation in the attic over her bedroom. There is blown-in insulation up there deeper than the rafters. Would there be any negative affect putting the roll insulation on top of the blown-in? There is no clearance issue with the roof rafters.

If there is a vapor barrier on the rolls I would place cuts in it to prevent moisture being trapped in the insulation.  Other than that I do not see any issues with adding insulation.  But is that the problem.  Is the HVAC providing enough heating and cooling to the room ?   Roly
You're going to compress the blown in trying to get the fiberglass on top of it. That can do more hurt than the new will help. How's your air sealing?
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(09-19-2018, 11:57 AM)Bope Wrote: I have a couple rolls of R30 ceiling insulation taking up space in my garage. My daughter bedroom is always the hottest in the summer and coldest in the winter so I was thinking of putting the insulation in the attic over her bedroom. There is blown-in insulation up there deeper than the rafters. Would there be any negative affect putting the roll insulation on top of the blown-in? There is no clearance issue with the roof rafters.

Good idea , pull the paper off the insulation first. I doubt that the R-8 will compress the loose fill. Too light too have any effect IMOP.
mike
Not so much the insulation compressing it, but his feet and legs as he shuffles around.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Possible to measure how much insulation you have?
I don't see a problem with putting it up there
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I did just what you are thinking of almost 10 years ago.  It was a PITA moving around in such a confined space to get the insulation rolled out nicely, but it has definitely helped, especially in the summer.

John
I was going to remove the vapor barrier. I was also going to bring a little garden hand rake up with me to refluff any place I compressed moving around. This attic is huge so it will be easy moving around. Is the HVAC to the room adequate, NO. There are 2 ducts to the room. One runs up an interior wall then along the floor to the outside wall. The other runs up an outside wall to the second story. The air coming out of that one is slightly warmer than the room air during the winter. We don't have central AC. Her room gets some late afternoon sun which makes it warmer than other rooms on the second floor. Generally upstairs starts to heat up a couple hours after the heat of the day as the heat in the insulation starts to radiate into the house.
I used some of this stuff before I had my wood shop insulated and dry walled.

https://atticfoil.com/

The effect was noticeable INSTANTLY just standing in the shop.

If you have good access, it is worth a try.  It was for me.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me