What kind of gloves do you wear for handling wood?
(09-19-2018, 07:11 PM)iublue Wrote: It seems like I go through gloves pretty quickly.  I need to wear them because of a childhood accident and I like the ones with some grip (because my grip strength isn't the best) to them but those gloves don't seem to have much durability.

Any suggestions?

I use something like these https://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/...94&ipos=10  Leather palms/fingers with lycra backs for flexibility/dexterity.  

Does well for wood, both fire and lumber.  Winter versions for loading the outdoor furnace have to be insulated, sacrificing dexterity for warmth.  Same plan of leather palms and cloth backs.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
These are costly, but they hold up well, and prevent a ton of splinters.
They work well for my needs.
Goatskin Gloves

These are nice for handling sheet goods. They prevent splinters very well.
Kinco gloves
Leather gloves for handing rough lumber while milling.  Latex will not stop a splinter.

Latex coated when I need grip.  They work great when tightening clamps.
(09-20-2018, 09:50 AM)Enigmatic Wrote: These are costly, but they hold up well, and prevent a ton of splinters.
They work well for my needs.
Goatskin Gloves

These are nice for handling sheet goods. They prevent splinters very well.
Kinco gloves

I also use Goatskin gloves and love them.  Had mine now for 4 years.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Fit is also an issue for me.  Unless I can find a place to custom make some gloves, I will never find a pair that fits just because my hands are not normal.

Thanks for the suggestions.
When I pulled lumber at the mill, we used heavy leather mitts. Slivers never went through, and we snapped heavy stuff off the belts, sliding them onto decks using the gloves to guide them. If that's your need, maybe a lumber/mill supply?
(09-20-2018, 05:43 PM)iublue Wrote: Fit is also an issue for me.  Unless I can find a place to custom make some gloves, I will never find a pair that fits just because my hands are not normal.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Try braided Kevlar gloves. They don't wear out and stretch to fit hands. Not perfect, but I doubt you will wear holes in them. Last I heard, Kevlar is the same material used to make bullet-proof vests. Order the next size up from what you normally buy. They tend to shrink a little.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
Never ever worn any kinds of gloves when working with machines in my shop in fear of gloves getting caught with a spinning thing. An incident of someone fracturing his arm on the drill press has been documented because of that, as well as tablesaw injuries involving gloves.

Splinters are my least concern.

Simon
I wear the blue grippy things I get from the box store
Sure there’s a snag risk involved but like anything an ounce of awareness is worth a ton of cure and prevention and I keep my gloves hands away from cutting edges and usually don’t wear them while holding something at the drill press
To me it’s a matter of the proximity of risk
I’m more likely to get painful splinters while handling certain materials resulting in a distraction while operating a power tool than I am to get the glove caught on the cutting edge of the tool
It’s not without risk, but it’s exchanging one risk for another and in my opinion at my comfort level with my tools in my shop it’s a risk exchange that I think is in my favor. But I don’t recommend it because the decision is up to the person and his/her skill level, awareness, and comfort with various risks
Ray
(09-21-2018, 01:43 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: I’m more likely to get painful splinters

To deal with splinters if they happen (once in a while for me even though I deal with a lot of rough lumber), I rely on a small weapon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/...dition=new

It is the best compared to anything I have tried including a surgical knife to cut open skin.

There are many woodworking accidents related to using gloves in the shop and most school shops I know ban the use of gloves with any machinery. This one is an example of a gloves-induced accident: https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/wood...tytip.html

Simon