What kind of gloves do you wear for handling wood?
And that’s why I don’t recommend wearing gloves at the table saw, but it’s the risk I accept in exchange for eliminating the more proximate risk of the painful distraction of splinters. it’s not just about avoiding the injury and removal of splinters.
That injury reads like it might have happened even without the gloves, but the gloves probably didn’t help him in prevention.
In my experience rough lumber is not as bad for splinters as is plywood.
Ray
(09-21-2018, 01:53 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: To deal with splinters if they happen (once in a while for me even though I deal with a lot of rough lumber), I rely on a small weapon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/...dition=new

It is the best compared to anything I have tried including a surgical knife to cut open skin.

There are many woodworking accidents related to using gloves in the shop and most school shops I know ban the use of gloves with any machinery. This one is an example of a gloves-induced accident: https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/wood...tytip.html

Simon

I was afraid that this thread would become a safety discussion.

I don't know how you can say that this example was a gloves-induced accident.  The person gives NO explanation of how the accident happened or what part, if any, gloves played in it.

Was the guard in place?  Was he practicing good safety procedures?

The story is incomplete.
(09-21-2018, 09:10 PM)iublue Wrote: I was afraid that this thread would become a safety discussion.

I don't know how you can say that this example was a gloves-induced accident.  The person gives NO explanation of how the accident happened or what part, if any, gloves played in it.

The story is incomplete.

By inference.

The title says: No Gloves on the Table Saw. His advice was no gloves, period. He did not say no gloves when you used the saw with the guard. Or, no gloves when you did not use the saw with the guard.

He also did not say no gloves if you were not following good safety procedures. Or no gloves if you were following good safety procedures.

In other words, he attributed his injury to the gloves. Whether his gloves were brand new, used many times before etc. (also information he did not give) did not matter. Did he wear the gloves inside out? Or were the gloves black (or yellow)?

The story is pretty complete unless one wants to split hairs. 

Someone fractured his arm when his glove got caught in the drill press. Was there enough lighting when that happened, or did he wear safety glasses? Who cared? What matters is one should not wear gloves when operating a drill press.

Simon
But unless he was wearing tattered gloves with loose pieces hanging all over (like a Scooby Doo mummy) his glove would not have become snared unless his hand got to within like 1/8 - 1/4” of the blade
His hand should not have been that close and probably would have been injured anyway and while the glove can catch at 3000 rpm so can flesh and bone
Over the years I’ve read other stories of bare hands getting snagged and pulled into or over the table saw blade
I know someone who lost a thumb at the ts from kick back alone without ever touching the blade. The wood piece alone did the damage and a SawStop would not have helped in the least.
His Not wearing gloves didn’t help

The drill press is a different story because it’s a different tool and, for me anyway, my hands are in closer proximity to a greater risk of injury, albeit I’m not likely to sever a body part at the drill press
There’s a lot of things that a school or OSHA does not recommend or even specifically prohibit. Do I follow all of those guidelines? Not even close, but I am not particularly unsafe for it.
But that’s also my decision in my shop and I’m only liable for myself.

This is a good discussion to have about the use of gloves in the workshop. It’s an important addition to the op and not to be taken lightly and we need to understand the risks we accept for ourselves.
How many training safety videos do you remember from the workplace? I remember them in general, but discussions like this are far more memorable and imho helpful.
Ray
(09-22-2018, 09:38 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: I remember them in general, but discussions like this are far more memorable and imho helpful.

I agree. Safety discussions are never out of place, and many shop accidents happen because people lower their guard even if they have received the proper training.

Those who are interested in exploring some of the many circumstances (including glove caught) that resulted in tablesaw injuries can browse this CPSC pdf (pages 36 - 39):

https://library.ul.com/wp-content/upload...aw_V11.pdf

Simon
(09-21-2018, 09:10 PM)iublue Wrote: I was afraid that this thread would become a safety discussion.

The story is incomplete.

Especially when the question, as posed, was about "handling wood", not machining. 

Did a few gory glove-induced runs as an EMT, so after I stack or unstack - I de-glove.

Oh yes, woodworking machines which did the maiming were drill press and jointer.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Tablesaw injuries trump any other woodworking machinery incidents (including drill press or jointer ones) in number, in case anyone who works in a healthcare or emergency setting did not know.

Hmmm, feeding stock through a machine is not considered handling....

Cambridge dictionary:

to pick something up and touch, hold, or move it with your hands:
to operate or control something that could be difficult or dangerous:

Simon
(09-20-2018, 05:43 PM)iublue Wrote: Fit is also an issue for me.  Unless I can find a place to custom make some gloves, I will never find a pair that fits just because my hands are not normal.

Thanks for the suggestions.

What I did with my goat skin gloves is I got them soaking wet and wore them all day until they dried out.  Fit perfect after that.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-21-2018, 10:26 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: By inference.

The title says: No Gloves on the Table Saw. His advice was no gloves, period. He did not say no gloves when you used the saw with the guard. Or, no gloves when you did not use the saw with the guard.

He also did not say no gloves if you were not following good safety procedures. Or no gloves if you were following good safety procedures.

In other words, he attributed his injury to the gloves. Whether his gloves were brand new, used many times before etc. (also information he did not give) did not matter. Did he wear the gloves inside out? Or were the gloves black (or yellow)?

The story is pretty complete unless one wants to split hairs. 

Someone fractured his arm when his glove got caught in the drill press. Was there enough lighting when that happened, or did he wear safety glasses? Who cared? What matters is one should not wear gloves when operating a drill press.  

Simon

The article did not say in any way how gloves caused or contributed to the accident so it is incomplete.

IMO, that is like saying a driver was going to fast and had accident but not mentioning that the driver blew over the limit for alcohol.

All the facts are needed, at least for me, before conclusions can be drawn.
(09-22-2018, 07:00 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: What I did with my goat skin gloves is I got them soaking wet and wore them all day until they dried out.  Fit perfect after that.

Interesting.  I like pigskin for winter work, since it does not stiffen, or shrink ( at least not noticeably) after it is wet.

I have used goatskin for winter work as well, and it seems to have similar properties to pigskin.  Did you get a close fit and the gloves simply molded to your hands, or did you get a bit larger, and they shrunk a bit?
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe