What kind of gloves do you wear for handling wood?
Interesting technique on getting the gloves wet for fit
That’s what we did with our boots in the Army
Ray
(09-22-2018, 04:15 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Especially when the question, as posed, was about "handling wood", not machining. 

That's what I thought it was all about. Handling

Catching wood as in off bearer on the sawmill
Removing wood from your trk and stacking it in the wood rack

Etc
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-23-2018, 09:46 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: That's what I thought it was all about. Handling

Catching wood as in off bearer on the sawmill
Removing wood from your trk and stacking it in the wood rack

Etc
That's not what I thought it was all about. Handling

Moving wood from the truck into the shop
Stickering it for acclimatization
Placing and feeding a prank into a machine (wearing a pair of gloves or not wearing any, depending on one's habit)

Etc.

Never thought handling a board, and processing a board with a machine are mutually exclusive. Learn something new everyday.

Or, someone's dictionary is good only for kindergarten kids when defining handling?
Simon
(09-23-2018, 10:14 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Never thought handling a board, and processing a board with a machine are mutually exclusive. Learn something new everyday.

Or, someone's dictionary is good only for kindergarten kids when defining handling?
Simon

Well, at least in your case, it would seem.

Not sure of your experience in the medical field, but better than a quarter century for me causes me to differentiate between amputation and avulsion, cut versus crush, thus the use of the word "maim." Though others may have heard of some, I never had a tablesaw incident where wearing gloves was the proximate cause of the accident.  The blade cuts, it doesn't grab and carry for further crushing and chewing.  Now chainsaws - well, let's just say I won't EVER drop start one.  They grab pants legs pretty fast....

But, as I said, I like the leather palms and flexible stretch backs for "handling" firewood.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(09-23-2018, 10:14 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: That's not what I thought it was all about. Handling

Moving wood from the truck into the shop
Stickering it for acclimatization
Placing and feeding a prank into a machine (wearing a pair of gloves or not wearing any, depending on one's habit)

Etc.

Never thought handling a board, and processing a board with a machine are mutually exclusive. Learn something new everyday.

Simon

You didn't make any points with that post.

To me, handling wood and machining wood is 2 different things.
The OP didn't say anything about machining wood in his original post, so I went with what I posted.
Wink
Maybe you read to far into a post? (Shrug)
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Big Grin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-23-2018, 11:46 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Not sure of your experience in the medical field, but better than a quarter century for me causes me to differentiate between amputation and avulsion, cut versus crush, thus the use of the word "maim." Though others may have heard of some, I never had a tablesaw incident where wearing gloves was the proximate cause of the accident.

Guess you are one of those who shoot then ask kind of guy. And may be you don't read other people's posts before you chime in? I posted this in the thread not long ago:

Those who are interested in exploring some of the many circumstances (including glove caught) that resulted in tablesaw injuries can browse this CPSC pdf (pages 36 - 39):

https://library.ul.com/wp-content/upload...aw_V11.pdf

You never came across a glove-induced injury...good, but it does not mean your limited experience is the authority. 

Simon
Music 
(09-23-2018, 12:20 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: You didn't make any points with that post.

To me, handling wood and machining wood is 2 different things.
The OP didn't say anything about machining wood in his original post, so I went with what I posted.
Wink
Maybe you read to far into a post? (Shrug)
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Big Grin

Not sure what points you wanted me to make other than that my point is: handling is not a term exclusive of other activities such as but not limited to feeding stock to a sawblade.

Did the OP say anything about not machining wood? He might have that in his mind, but we are not mind readers. In a forum setting, what harm is done when a safety comment is made relating to gloves and handling? Both are relevant to the topic per se. Remember this is a forum, not an academic conference (and typos are socially acceptable
Big Grin ).

Oh, by the way, in case you or anyone who missed it, my post was not the first post in THIS thread that mentioned something about gloves and safety. Let me know if you couldn't find the safety comment another member has made. Hmmmm, differential treatment or memory loss?
Rolleyes
Laugh

If you think handling does not include machining, I respect your interpretation. But no one (definitely not another woodworker) can force me to abandon my understanding of handling as an activity that includes working with it.

Simon
(09-23-2018, 01:30 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Not sure what points you wanted me to make other than that my point is:

Man points.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-23-2018, 03:10 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Man points.
Laugh

Man points to you...main (not maim!) points to me
Big Grin 

Simon
(09-23-2018, 03:13 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Man points to you...main (not maim!) points to me
Big Grin 

Simon

Ok
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020