The real post about my new work bench
Super nice. Wish my shop was half as clean as yours.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
Great job Tom! And thanks for the note on hickory. I've been pricing lumber for a workbench build of my own and hickory usually is the cheapest price at all the nearby Mills. Maybe I'll go with soft maple or red oak which aren't that much more expensive. Also considering just going to the big box stores and buying southern yellow pine. Not too keen on dealing with a lot of pitch in the wood though.
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(09-22-2018, 05:37 PM)alanealane Wrote: Great job Tom! And thanks for the note on hickory. I've been pricing lumber for a workbench build of my own and hickory usually is the cheapest price at all the nearby Mills. Maybe I'll go with soft maple or red oak which aren't that much more expensive. Also considering just going to the big box stores and buying southern yellow pine. Not too keen on dealing with a lot of pitch in the wood though.

Hickory is grain sensitive, and hard on cutting tools. You are not even remotely going to get it flat with a hand plane, but send it through a wide belt sander and it will be beautiful. A thickness planner works quite well but Hickory really like a sander for some reason. It is also about a pound a board foot white oak which is heavier than red oak. I am not a big fan of soft maple, even for draw sides. it is also kind of squirrely . I would opt for the red oak but would choose Hickory over soft maple. Hard Maple is a wonderful choice for the top and I would bite the bullet if it wasn't to much more a board foot. One doesn't need FAS in Hard Maple the brown maple is prettier in a bench. In Europe it is Beach but only because it is as common there as Hard Maple is here. Right now a lot of Ash trees are being cut down because of the beetle. Ash will not be a problem if it is kiln dried. And it is usually cheaper than red oak. Ash is another option. 

Tom
What an incredible piece of work!

I built the Frank Klausz workbench about 20 years ago. You're right, it's my most used piece of equipment.
Thanks Tom! I'll consider lower grade hard maple. I actually have probably a few hundred bf of it but it's in 8/4 slabs with beautiful crotch and compression curl... Just can't bring myself to put it in a workbench
Big Grin.
I do have some Ash stacked and it's not too pricey iirc so that could work!
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
Wow.  That's awesome!  Great job! 
Cool
That is truly stunning, what a labor of love!
no permiti el bicho morderte
Outstanding job on the workbench!!!

Doug