The real post about my new work bench
     Here are some pictures of things I had in the back of my mind to build and the bench build forced me to complete so I could build it more easily. Arthritic in the thumbs prompted the feather boards on the jointer and I will say that I use them all the time. I tried magnetic feather boards but they don't hold a candle to these.

Also I use a sled to get straight line rips. The sled saves a lot of trial and error on the jointer as soon as the board is longer than the infeed table. it A lot of the time I turn the sled over ,With the wood still clamped and use a router and  flush trim bit to get a finished edge. I did rework the infeed table on the table saw.since I took the pictures.

If that were mine I don't think I could use it....I would just sit there and drool over it.  I know you built it with a purpose to be used but still.....it's a beautiful piece of furniture in my eyes.

I think I may know the answer but why no future work with Hickory?
(09-20-2018, 12:19 PM)tablesawtom Wrote:      Here are some pictures of things I had in the back of my mind to build and the bench build forced me to complete so I could build it more easily. Arthritic in the thumbs prompted the feather boards on the jointer and I will say that I use them all the time. I tried magnetic feather boards but they don't hold a candle to these.

Also I use a sled to get straight line rips. The sled saves a lot of trial and error on the jointer as soon as the board is longer than the infeed table. it A lot of the time I turn the sled over ,With the wood still clamped and use a router and  flush trim bit to get a finished edge. I did rework the infeed table on the table saw.since I took the pictures.

Hickory doesn't stay flat or straight and it doesn't like to be planned. Dulls tools quickly, but it does like to be sanded.  Also over 4 pounds a BF. At my age there are to many other easier woods to work with.
Tom

That bench looks swell and I do not know who would not like it.  That big I could not even fit in my shop.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-20-2018, 12:13 PM)Blockplane Wrote: That is a darn fine bench. Well done.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
That's beautiful Tom!
I forgot to mention that the 10 drawers on the European side have Blum  under mount soft closing drawer slides. The other side just has full extension ball bearing slides.

Actual size of the top is 34 inches wide, 43 if measuring a crossed the the shoulder vise. The European side is 17 inches wide excluding the shoulder vise and the leg vise side is 11 inches wide.

Tom
(09-20-2018, 07:58 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: I know that most everyone thinks that the Roubo bench is the way to go but I prefer the European style with a shoulder vise and tail vise.

I think I could be forced to give up and work on your bench Tom. 
Yes

Awesome work!
Extremely Nice!!!!!
Kudos to you sir!! I like that enormous sled you made, too. Working easier is working safer!
Benny