What Do You Use For Marking?
For the finish measurements, of course I use a fine pencil, however for breaking down sheets and boards, I've been using white chalk, just for gross markings.  Problem is, especially on the ply, the chalk is super tuff to get out with sandpaper.  When you think you've sanded it out, you really haven't and sometimes it shows up during finishing.
So, what can I use for marking while I'm just breaking down?
For marking rough cuts I use a carpenter's pencil. Easily removed with sandpaper or rubbing alcohol...
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
I use a carpenter pencil as well.
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
Sometimes simple is best. Pencil
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I use chalk, and a slightly damp sponge gets it right off.
Same pencil I use for everything else
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-20-2018, 02:41 PM)darita Wrote: For the finish measurements, of course I use a fine pencil, however for breaking down sheets and boards, I've been using white chalk, just for gross markings.  Problem is, especially on the ply, the chalk is super tuff to get out with sandpaper.  When you think you've sanded it out, you really haven't and sometimes it shows up during finishing.
So, what can I use for marking while I'm just breaking down?

You know, I spent a couple of days with a Master Woodworker in a small town in Arkansas years ago.  He could do make anything in his small shop.  He showed me to use a knife to mark measurements.  I always have a folding box cutter on my belt.  When I measure something I use the knife to make a very thin mark on the wood.  It's way thinner than any pencil lead.  When accuracy counts, always use a knife.  The only draw back is, sometimes it's hard to find when you take it over to the saw.

RP
I use a shop-built guide rail to reduce ply sheets. Having the rail sit on the cut line means I only need a small mark at each end, so less to clean up to begin with. 

Pencil is easy enough for Light veneer faces. I use white chalk pencils (NOT wax) to mark walnut. These are used by tailors and can be found on Amazon.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Like several others I just use a carpenters pencil.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
A carpenters' pencil or painters blue tape.  The tape does double duty as it makes for a cleaner cut.  It is easily removed, but adds cost.  It also provides scratch protection from the saw's base.

Lately I've been using a track saw to break down goods, and no lines are required.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.