What Do You Use For Marking?
Most of the time, I use a carpenter's pencil.  Cheap, handy (stuck inside my cap), makes an OK scribble.  

When I think about it, I use a Woodworker's Pencil.  Lead is too big & fat to be used for anything else, so I try to use it for board marking.  Hey, it was a gift.
I got a bunch of thick, round pencils at HD.  I like them better than carpenter's pencils.  The last ones of those I got seemed to have very brittle lead.

[Image: c-h-hanson-writing-utensils-02015-64_1000.jpg]
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

What kind of chalk? Unless there is some kind of wax in the binder, it shouldn't be interfering with finishes when there's a bit left down in the grain.

A damp sponge (as mentioned above) works well to remove it from a surface.

I don't use a ton of different water-borne film finishes but I've had zero issues with chalk down in the grain of walnut showing up under oils, shellac, dyes or glazes and a few of the more common w-b finishes. The white chalk just takes up the color of whatever I've put on the wood. Don't use chalk much except for rough marking or on walnut to help a knife line show up.

My last couple boxes of chalk have been the white Crayola branded stuff and it seems OK. But I've also used $1 Store rando sidewalk chalk without issues.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(09-21-2018, 12:38 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I got a bunch of thick, round pencils at HD.  I like them better than carpenter's pencils.  The last ones of those I got seemed to have very brittle lead.

[Image: c-h-hanson-writing-utensils-02015-64_1000.jpg]

Lowes used to carry those, different name. I bought a ton of them on sale, a Buck a tube I think.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-20-2018, 02:41 PM)darita Wrote: For the finish measurements, of course I use a fine pencil, however for breaking down sheets and boards, I've been using white chalk, just for gross markings.  Problem is, especially on the ply, the chalk is super tuff to get out with sandpaper.  When you think you've sanded it out, you really haven't and sometimes it shows up during finishing.
So, what can I use for marking while I'm just breaking down?

I use a mechanical pencil with .09 lead. Trouble is I keep losing them to grandsons. I also lose them myself. Find them laying all over the shop when I clean up.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
If you want to use chalk go to the dollar store and buy the cheap pack of sidewalk chalk. It is meant to be temporary and works great for what you want to do. It actually may be to easily erased so you be the judge.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
(09-25-2018, 07:09 PM)Eurekan Wrote: If you want to use chalk go to the dollar store and buy the cheap pack of sidewalk chalk. It is meant to be temporary and works great for what you want to do. It actually may be to easily erased so you be the judge.

If you talking about rough sawn boards just to get to manageable size, I use chalk. Not gonna use that area anyway. Meaning I use a circular saw to get boards to length to start project. 
I don't sweat a half inch of board waste when starting out. Want to see it with these old eyes.
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...