Washer head screws and bit holders
I'm using some GRK washer head screws and my  Makita bit holder (made for washer head screws).  The metal collar on the bit holder grabs the washer magnetically allowing easy installation of the screws.  

But in my last box of screws I was having nothing but trouble driving the screws.  A close look showed that the washer was sitting above the collar by about 0.020" to 0.030".  

The solution was to grab the provided bit (from the GRK screws) and grind the base just enough so that the washer made good contact with the collar.  I held the bit with pliers (it got very hot).  A few quick passes solved the problem. (Don't remove too much or the bit will not engage the screw properly.)

I never had this problem in the past, but apparently the latest batch of GRK provided bits are a little longer than in the past.  If you run into this problem, it is an easy fix.

[Image: makita-drill-bit-holders-extensions-b-35097-64_1000.jpg]

[Image: grk-fasteners-wood-screws-114073-64_1000.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks for posting that. I used some screws like that last year and
found the driver bit kept coming out of the screwdriver extension in
the cordless drill. The bit would 'catch" in the screw and stick there
when I pulled the drill back.

Now I may know why!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(09-21-2018, 08:26 AM)MarkSingleton Wrote: Thanks for posting that.  I used some screws like that last year and
found the driver bit kept coming out of the screwdriver extension in
the cordless drill. The bit would 'catch" in the screw and stick there
when I pulled the drill back.

Now I may know why!!

That's a different problem that I've also experienced. Cooler's problem was the bit was slightly long so the washer head could not 'sit' on the magnetic collar. Grinding it down fixed the problem. The problem you and I have could be one of two things. The magnet in our bit holder is too weak to hold the bit strongly enough, and/or the coating on the supplied bit is slightly too thick or the recess is a bit too small, making the bit stick in the screw recess. I didn't have too many screws to drive, so didn't try to figure it out. I've had it happen with other screws, so it's not just GRK.
(09-21-2018, 10:09 AM)Mark A Smith Wrote: That's a different problem that I've also experienced. Cooler's problem was the bit was slightly long so the washer head could not 'sit' on the magnetic collar. Grinding it down fixed the problem. The problem you and I have could be one of two things. The magnet in our bit holder is too weak to hold the bit strongly enough, and/or the coating on the supplied bit is slightly too thick or the recess is a bit too small, making the bit stick in the screw recess. I didn't have too many screws to drive, so didn't try to figure it out. I've had it happen with other screws, so it's not just GRK.

The Makita holders have far stronger magnets than the Dewalt and Bosch ones I've tried.  Indeed, I need a pair of pliers to remove the bit for bit changes.

I may try this one from Amazon.  It is adjustable:  https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-00238A-Adju...B002GQ3KNK

[Image: 7115cb8hPJL._SL1500_.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I just use a regular magnetic hex bit holder, nothing fancy like you are showing.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Oooh I like fancy stuffs! Might have to try one out
Smile
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(09-21-2018, 10:23 AM)Cooler Wrote: The Makita holders have far stronger magnets than the Dewalt and Bosch ones I've tried.  Indeed, I need a pair of pliers to remove the bit for bit changes.

I may try this one from Amazon.  It is adjustable:  https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-00238A-Adju...B002GQ3KNK

[Image: 7115cb8hPJL._SL1500_.jpg]

Mainly for drywall. I like the looks of that one.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020