Shower drain back up
My shower drain backed up.  I tried using my manual crank snake but it didn't do the trick.  I called for a drain opening company ($350.00!!!).

He took a half hour to get the job done.  He used a drill driven unit.  He said it was the galvanized pipe closing up.  The pipe was in good shape, but needed to be snaked, and it was probably good for 5 years or so.

Harbor Freight has this unit for $120.00 (but on sale for $99.00).  I'm thinking of buying one to keep on hand.  Any thoughts?  This one most closely resembles the one that the plumber was using.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea...rain+snake

[Image: 64063_I.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
$350 for a tub drain? Did you pick the largest ad in the yellow pages or something?
Around here everyone wants $99 to unplug drains I know 3 people that had different companies and each was only $99.  I had to have my drain done in the winter when it froze up and they only charged me $99 to use there pressure wash unit to clear the ice.  That was only the second time in 42 years that I had it freeze up the first time was when the house was new and I worked for a builder that had a lot of them freeze.  the ground at that time froze over 4 feet deep most time it never freezes 3 feet deep
(09-21-2018, 07:44 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: $350 for a tub drain?  Did you pick the largest ad in the yellow pages or something?
Angie's list.  This was probably considered "emergency service".  He came the same day at 7:30 p.m.  I got him to knock $50.00 off by paying cash.

But what about the HF electric snake?
If you have any money left, by all means.
I have an older version of this Rigid unit.  It's tricky to use, as the drum rotates and can catch clothes or skin.  But it's saved my bacon a few times.  Maybe a wash between calling a drain service for each of those times or buying and using the snake.  But I've had to use it late at night, before an event like Thanksgiving with a ton of family, so there's that . . .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-115-V.../202826624
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-21-2018, 11:02 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I have an older version of this Rigid unit.  It's tricky to use, as the drum rotates and can catch clothes or skin.  But it's saved my bacon a few times.  Maybe a wash between calling a drain service for each of those times or buying and using the snake.  But I've had to use it late at night, before an event like Thanksgiving with a ton of family, so there's that . . .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-115-V.../202826624
That would not seem like a cost-effective solution.  

I think I will get the HF unit and use it when the shower drains slower, but is not backed up.  Hopefully I can extend past the 5 year cycle that way.  (My house was built in 1953, and it appears that the shower has a 2" drain pipe leading to a 5" cast iron pipe.
I'd certainly spend $10 on a small 'hook it to the water hose' expandable bladder thingies.  
Yes
I don’t think that would work on corrosion blockage.
(09-22-2018, 01:14 PM)Cooler Wrote: I don’t think that would work on corrosion blockage.

I missed that part.  
Blush