Shower drain back up
(09-21-2018, 11:02 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I have an older version of this Rigid unit.  It's tricky to use, as the drum rotates and can catch clothes or skin.  But it's saved my bacon a few times.  Maybe a wash between calling a drain service for each of those times or buying and using the snake.  But I've had to use it late at night, before an event like Thanksgiving with a ton of family, so there's that . . .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-115-V.../202826624

I have a Ridgid unit similar to this just older.  I would like to give you a heads up if you buy either, if you want to use it more than once with the same snake it is best to unroll it clean and oil before rolling it back up.  I remove the snake completely from the drum after each use clean and oil.  Replacement snakes cost almost as much as the Harbor Freight unit.  I learned the hard way that it needs to be taken care of after each use.  It might be different if you were using it everyday but for me occasion use is all it gets and I hope that doesn't change much
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

how long are you going to live in that house?  at what point do you consider replacing the 50 year old cast iron?   if you do it now you can do it in small pieces starting with a shower drain you already know has problems.
(09-25-2018, 12:25 PM)crokett™ Wrote: how long are you going to live in that house?  at what point do you consider replacing the 50 year old cast iron?   if you do it now you can do it in small pieces starting with a shower drain you already know has problems.

The plumber said the galvanized steel pipe was the issue.  The large diameter cast iron was not.  He said it might go another 25 or 30 years without any issue.  I'll be long out of here (and the universe) by then.

I will wait and see.

I've also been told to pump out the septic tank every  4 years.  But that is based on a family of four, and I live alone.  I waited 15 years and the septic guy said, "It was a good pump out.  But not nearly in trouble.  It was a good time to do this."  (He thought it was 4 years).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
My brothers uncle-in-law
Smile installs septic systems.  H e says bakers yeast, a packet or two every month and you'll have a happy system and no problems. I've followed his advise and so far, so good.
(09-27-2018, 08:59 AM)Gansett Wrote: My brothers uncle-in-law
Smile installs septic systems.  H e says bakers yeast, a packet or two every month and you'll have a happy system and no problems. I've followed his advise and so far, so good.

Yeah, that's a Farmer's Almanac recommendation too.  It is supposed to promote bacteria growth.  Cheap enough.  And don't pour bleach in the toilet.  It kills the bacteria.

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/maintain-...ally-20795
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
that's weird, because yeast is a fungus.
I can remember my Dad talking about adding yeast to the septic.  He also said that back in the day, they simply dumped a gallon of milk down the drain every once in a while.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?