Bunk beds just about done...now I need bed bolt covers
(09-21-2018, 01:18 PM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Mark,

I can't plug the holes as I need to be able to take it apart to be able to move it...eventually

Don't glue them in. If the plugs are tight, leave them a quarter inch above the surface (you can round them on the edges). Then you can get a utility knife lightly in the side of the exposed part and pop them out. You can probably buy a taper plug cutter for a lot less than 16 fancy covers.
(09-21-2018, 09:15 PM)Mark A Smith Wrote: Don't glue them in. If the plugs are tight, leave them a quarter inch above the surface (you can round them on the edges). Then you can get a utility knife lightly in the side of the exposed part and pop them out. You can probably buy a taper plug cutter for a lot less than 16 fancy covers.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(09-21-2018, 07:58 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: If you know the right guy, you can get them for 2 bits. :
Big Grin
Big Grin

Two bits are equal to one quarter of a dollar. At that price I'll take all you've got.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(09-21-2018, 10:18 AM)Mark A Smith Wrote: Maybe plug the holes rather than cover them? They are probably a standard dowel diameter. That would make an end grain plug, but would be cheap. Our you might find a plug cutter for the diameter you need and make face grain plugs.

I would suggest buttons instead. Pre-finish them, and tap them in. If you're concerned they'll fall out use a dab of melt glue; you'll still be able to get them out and re-use them.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(09-21-2018, 09:15 PM)Mark A Smith Wrote: Don't glue them in. If the plugs are tight, leave them a quarter inch above the surface (you can round them on the edges). Then you can get a utility knife lightly in the side of the exposed part and pop them out. You can probably buy a taper plug cutter for a lot less than 16 fancy covers.

They are cheap.
Buy a plug cutter and make a bag of them. Store them under the bottom bunk or under the matress at the foot of the bed. When it's time to dismantle, dig them out as Mark suggested, or drive a screw and pull them out. Replace as needed when reassembling.

My dad did a lot of auto work. He explained that a lot of fasteners and trim should be considered consumable. He had boxes of those plastic auto body buttons. I carried the concept over to a lot of other projects. Saves time and hassles.
(09-22-2018, 11:04 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Two bits are equal to one quarter of a dollar. At that price I'll take all you've got.

I guess in the days of a half penny, you could have one bit?

and i believe if you have 2, you can get a shave and a haircut.  
Smile

Colin
You could do flush plugs, don't glue them in, then some day just run a wood screw part way in and pull. Or let it push against the head of the bolt and it will pull the plug out. Make new plugs if you set it back up.
Benny

Splurge and use silver dollars.
I've used them for paper towel holders.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(09-25-2018, 01:58 PM)Cdshakes Wrote: I guess in the days of a half penny, you could have one bit?

and i believe if you have 2, you can get a shave and a haircut.  
Smile

Colin

OT history tidbit.  

The expression goes back to the old Spanish "pieces of eight."  Those gold coins could be separated into eight wedges, each called a "bit."  Hence two bits is a quarter.

Fast forward to the early days of computing, and they adapted the term for units of memory.

And now you know...the rest of the story.
(10-30-2018, 08:10 PM)Ridgeway Wrote: OT history tidbit.  

The expression goes back to the old Spanish "pieces of eight."  Those gold coins could be separated into eight wedges, each called a "bit."  Hence two bits is a quarter.

Fast forward to the early days of computing, and they adapted the term for units of memory.

And now you know...the rest of the story.

Computer bit stands for "binary information digit".

"The encoding of data by discrete bits was used in the punched cards invented by Basile Bouchon and Jean-Baptiste Falcon (1732), developed by Joseph Marie Jacquard (1804), and later adopted by Semen Korsakov, Charles Babbage, Hermann Hollerith, and early computer manufacturers like IBM. Another variant of that idea was the perforated paper tape. In all those systems, the medium (card or tape) conceptually carried an array of hole positions; each position could be either punched through or not, thus carrying one bit of information. The encoding of text by bits was also used in Morse code (1844) and early digital communications machines such as teletypes and stock ticker machines (1870).

Ralph Hartley suggested the use of a logarithmic measure of information in 1928.[6] Claude E. Shannon first used the word bit in his seminal 1948 paper A Mathematical Theory of Communication.[7] He attributed its origin to John W. Tukey, who had written a Bell Labs memo on 9 January 1947 in which he contracted "binary information digit" to simply "bit". Vannevar Bush had written in 1936 of "bits of information" that could be stored on the punched cards used in the mechanical computers of that time.[8] The first programmable computer, built by Konrad Zuse, used binary notation for numbers."

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.