Does anyone use a benchtop jointer?
I am probably going to be moving within the next 6 months, I currently have an open stand General jointer with 54 in infeed/outfeed...its a  6 inch jointer. Going to probably go down to something like at 12x16 or maybe a 12x20. I was considering selling my current jointer since it would be such a spacehog in a very small shop. If you use a benchtop jointer I'm curious what you're thoughts are on not only the unit you have but my plan as well. Probably gonna sell my Delta contractor's saw and go back to a jobsite saw as well. Keeping the Delta 14 inch BS and floor DP.

Thoughts? 

Thanks
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I had the Delta quite a few years ago . Did not like it . Gave it to a friend that wanted it  . Seem to remember no adjust on outfeed . Maybe a Jet ...Shopfox  ... Grizz might give better results ?????

Reviews on Amazon

"Closed for Business" Had some of the BTJP combo's for sale a while back . Maybe PM him and see what he thinks about them .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I have the benchtop Porter Cable at this time.

I've previously owned some of the old Ryobi units (made in Japan).

I find they work fine, within their limitations.  And their limitations are obviously their 6" width (although that is the same as you have now) and their limited bed length (which makes jointing longer stock a problem).

One of the reasons I now have the Porter Cable, is that I realized the tables attached via screws through their tops.  I did imagine that I could someday replace the tables with laminated plywood tables for increased length.  I don't KNOW that I will do it, but I do not think it would be difficult.
Don't they have the load motors?
I have an old jointer that was called a bench top back in the 30's ish time frame. Its cast iron and really heavy. If I were looking for something a little more modern, I think I'd try building the woodgears version.

Woodgears homemade jointer build
Thanks for the responses.  I am gonna sell my current jointer. LOML agreed that I can rebuy anything that I sell to make the move easier so I guess I am in a no risk situation.  I do hate to sell the TS but is would be a beast to move.

I am looking at CL to see what I can see or I may buy a new wanna be spiral head Cutech or just the PC from Lowes.
That Cutech gets good marks . That one with slide out extensions is pretty cool . 5 bills though , and I can't believe you can't come up with something more economical .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I don't see the point in selling tools and machines to make a move easier.
After all you may have to arrange shipping for your new purchase from 500 miles away and negotiate with a seller over a machine which you have never seen and then get the thing working once you have brought it home. It is way easier to move what you already own.

My previous workshop is 2.9 by 5.5 metres. A little smaller than your 12 by 20 feet. There I had an European style combination machine with 24" planer/thicknesser and 16" table saw and a full size spindle moulder (shaper in your vocabulary). I made doors and windows for profit on a part time basis.

There is really no need to limit yourself to benchtop machines if you use yor brain right from the start and plan everything around the mayor machines and a solid workbench.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
scott, i had a 12 by 12 shop some time ago. i had a 6" grizzely i put on wheels and built one of the benches to wheel it under out of the way. personally i found it easier than pulling my old benchtop off the shelf,use it, then put it back away.
might want to think about that option.
I did think about doing an arrangement like this one shown in the picture. I don't know how wobbly that would make the planer on top though. Again though one of the major problems is moving and storing until the new shop is ready. We are really trying to downsize stuff and  make the move easier.

Attached Files Image(s)