Does anyone use a benchtop jointer?
Oh, and the size of what I'm going to have is at least in part limited by the fact that I want it to be movable if need be. I seem to have reasons to move way too many times and just in case I move after this I want to make this a shop that I can use and take with me. I don't mind a very small shop, my first shop was about five foot by 8 foot, and I had a lot of fun in there.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I like the idea of sliding the jointer under the planer table. Then, if you make the planer table legs fold-able or removable, you can move the shop as needed. There is a fellow in Japan that has his shop in a "bunker" under his high rise.  He did something similar with this jointer (check the jointer links on this site). Stu's dungeon workshop
(09-25-2018, 04:02 AM)TGW Wrote: I don't see the point in selling tools and machines to make a move easier.
After all you may have to arrange shipping for your new purchase from 500 miles  away and negotiate with a seller over a machine which you have never seen and then get the thing working once you have brought it home. It is way easier to move what you already own.

My previous workshop is 2.9 by 5.5 metres. A little smaller than your 12 by 20 feet. There I had an European style combination machine with 24" planer/thicknesser and 16" table saw and a full size spindle moulder (shaper in your vocabulary). I made doors and windows for profit on a part time basis.

There is really no need to limit yourself to benchtop machines if you use yor brain right from the start and plan everything around the mayor machines and a solid workbench.

You don't have any pictures do you?
(09-26-2018, 10:40 AM)Scott W Wrote: You don't have any pictures do you?

Aye

Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
After much deliberation I decided to keep what I got....

Thanks for y'alls help.
(10-03-2018, 02:35 PM)Scott W Wrote: After much deliberation I decided to keep what I got....

Thanks for y'alls help.

I honestly thought this thread would take a more typical WN path, where you'd come back to show us a pic of the new shop, with an enormous jointer/planer sitting in the middle.

Oh well, I can't say you didn't make the right move.