Tight jaws on drill press chuck
(09-24-2018, 05:39 AM)fredhargis Wrote: The LFA comes in a 5/8" version and is the one I bought for my press. In my case it was an upsize, since the OEM was 1/2". What surprised me was the physical size difference to get the extra 1/8" capacity.
Big sucker! Is that threaded, or Jacobs?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
JT4, I had to get a new arbor to mount it since the 1/2" one was JT3....the DP is MT2.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-25-2018, 05:38 AM)fredhargis Wrote: JT4, I had to get a new arbor to mount it since the 1/2" one was JT3....the DP is MT2.

Thank you. I asked because the only ones I saw online were threaded. I'll look again.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(09-25-2018, 09:25 PM)Aram Wrote: Thank you. I asked because the only ones I saw online were threaded. I'll look again.

They do make threaded to mt2 arbors for chucks.
This the specific one I bought, but I see it's only available from 3rd party vendors now (@Amazon). I bought mine in 2013 (according to Amazon) and they sold them direct...I looked the order up, I paid $88.61 at the time (!). The current price isn't nearly as friendly. Also, I see they say it's JT3....I could have sworn I bought a JT4 arbor. Senior moment, I guess.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-23-2018, 04:12 PM)alanealane Wrote: Jacobs ball bearing keyed "superchuck" you can find them on eBay for much less than new prices. They may need a good cleaning but usually are great for accurate woodworking use. I may have a 5/8 superchuck laying around my shop that could work for you. Not sure of the taper on the arbor. I'll check later today or tomorrow.
I have one also....none better than a superchuck. Ball bearings make the difference in performance...and price!!!! But they are for a lifetime of service.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-23-2018, 01:51 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: That's precisely why you now need to replace the Chinese chuck.

QFT

That being said Ill buy that chuck key from you if you sell it. I too own a SC 17 DP.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(10-01-2018, 12:53 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: QFT

That being said Ill buy that chuck key from you if you sell it. I too own a SC 17 DP.

I'm going to try cleaning the one I have before I give up an pop for a replacement. If I go that route, I would be happy to just give it to you for the cost of shipping.... except it's broken.
Best,
Aram, always learning

The chuck key is what i need most.

Albrecht makes nice chucks too.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I finally found my 5/8" Jacobs Superchuck (model "No. 16") with mt2 arbor in my toolbox at work. Smooth action. It's a beast! But I don't have a use for it. Comes with a K4 safety chuck key that is spring loaded and won't accidentally stay in the chuck. Let me know if you're interested Aram
Smile
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]