Need some info
Can anyone give me any info on this. My son got it from a friend and gave it to me. The only ones I found on the net have a button on the side to release the bit. 

[Image: 44897006411_2d96d1fa20_z.jpg]

[Image: 43085045810_95546cca4c_z.jpg]
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
I don't know much about these old braces, but many of the earlier ones did not have standard size chucks. You had to get bits and brace from the same manufacturer, as bits weren't interchangeable between different manufacturers. Some had buttons or other catches to keep the bit in the chuck, but mechanisms did vary quite a bit. It looks like maybe yours has some sort of spring catch?

Back in the day, some woodworkers just kept one bit in one brace permanently. So they might have four or five braces, each one with a different size bit, which was about all they ever used in their day-to-day work. That way there was no having to change bits out.

As to your brace, well, if you wanted to use it, you might have to locate a bit that was made by the same people who made the brace. I don't know if there's a manufacturer's mark anywhere on it, or how easy or difficult it might be to find a bit to fit it. Might be worth a try, or that brace might just turn out to be a show piece. It does look to be in good condition, and if you shined up the brass, I'll bet it would look really pretty.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Older braces have a four sided cavity that is tapered. You mounted your bit in a four sided piece of hardwood with a similar taper and friction kept the bit wedged in the brace. Your brace looks like it has some kind of catch that is probably controlled by something on the side the picture does not show. You have to figure out how this catch works and if it is still functional. Then you have to imagine what kind of a bit would work with your opening. Some auger bits have a notch in the side to fit a catch. You may be able to just put a four sided augur bit tang in and forget the catch.
(09-25-2018, 06:47 PM)wmickley Wrote: Older braces have a four sided cavity that is tapered. You mounted your bit in a four sided piece of hardwood with a similar taper and friction kept the bit wedged in the brace. Your brace looks like it has some kind of catch that is probably controlled by something on the side the picture does not show. You have to figure out how this catch works and if it is still functional. Then you have to imagine what kind of a bit would work with your opening. Some auger bits have a notch in the side to fit a catch. You may be able to just put a four sided augur bit tang in and forget the catch.

Thanks for the info. It has a couple of names stamped, but I think they are just former owners. I have searched for a manufacturer by the names and got nothing. For now I think I will just hang it on the wall.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!