Upholster's stapler
Anyone had any experience with an Upholster's stapler? Is there a preference to the width of the staples? 
Bill
Not a pro but for a dining chair (6 chairs) reupholstery project, I used the ubiquitous T50 staples. Since it's going to take a lot of staples, I also bought a Surebonder 9600B pneumatic stapler from Amazon. Best $30 I ever spent! I didn't have any jams and it was effortless to shoot staples without any hand fatigue. I filled up my portable air tank and got tons of shots out of it.
(09-25-2018, 12:21 AM)GEB Wrote: Anyone had any experience with an Upholster's stapler? Is there a preference to the width of the staples? 
Bill

I did eight bar stools a while back.   I used a Bostich pneumatic stapler.  I think it uses T-50 staples.  I used the longest staples I could get that would not protrude out the other side of the seat plate.  The staples did make the top ply of the seat plate push up a little, but after you put the thick foam down, it's not a problem. It made life so much easier.  Effortless.  The staples held well.  The gun was great.  You can't imagine how many times you have squeeze the handle on a non pneumatic stapler when doing upholstery.  I got the gun with a compressor.  It was a pancake compressor and three guns for $199.
I believe upholstery staples are real fine wire with narrow crowns.  Maybe I'm wrong.

RP
My wife does upholstery she uses a Senco SFW10XP stapler. 1/2" x 1/2" staples this is a oil less stapler to prevent staining fabric. I use this stapler to lay down titianimum roofing under layment.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I have the US58 Porter cable stapler. 3/8" crown, 22 gauge.
It's been a fine little stapler.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-25-2018, 09:57 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: I have the US58 Porter cable stapler. 3/8" crown, 22 gauge.
It's been a fine little stapler.

I have the same one and it's great. Be warned...you can fire off the staples like a machine gun, which is fine until you need to re-reupholster. DAMHIKT.
(09-25-2018, 12:31 PM)joe1086 Wrote: I have the same one and it's great. Be warned...you can fire off the staples like a machine gun

Yes. It doubles as a rat killer in the shop. Be sure and have a flexible, long hose though.
Uhoh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have a Harbor Freight T50 stapler and it works well. I think air staplers and nailers is one place Harbor Freight does pretty well. The HF stapler doesn't have a safety so have to be a little careful there. I don't use HF staples, I get brand name T50 staples.
(09-25-2018, 06:59 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: I have a Harbor Freight T50 stapler and it works well. I think air staplers and nailers is one place Harbor Freight does pretty well. The HF stapler doesn't have a safety so have to be a little careful there. I don't use HF staples, I get brand name T50 staples.

Thanks all for your encouragement and experience. My one time single bar stool can't justify a $30 - $40 investment. That and my very limited experience in upholstery says, "Farm it out".
(09-25-2018, 04:49 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: Not a pro but for a dining chair (6 chairs) reupholstery project, I used the ubiquitous T50 staples.  Since it's going to take a lot of staples, I also bought a Surebonder 9600B pneumatic stapler from Amazon.  Best $30 I ever spent!  I didn't have any jams and it was effortless to shoot staples without any hand fatigue.  I filled up my portable air tank and got tons of shots out of it.

I ordered one after seeing your comment. Putting vinyl on a couple chairs (and cleaning up/refinishing the wood) for my physical therapist.  First one went OK with my powershot, but this will make it so much easier.
Benny