Spotted latern fly control
Here in S.E. P. A. We are getting inudated with these critters. Looking at the psu extension there is mention of chemical controls applied of course by liscensed persons. Our lawn care company said they do a 2 visit application of some sort of oil to basicall smother the eggs this fall. Anyone have any experiance with any sort of control measures?
Horticultural oil (used to be sold as dormant oil and summer oil...now they are the same and you just mix a different rates).

Very old pesticide.  It is just highly refined petroleum - technically not a "poison" as it just suffocates the bugs.  Because of that it is organic.  It also has no residual - if you don't get it on the pest at the time of application it will not impact them.  It certainly has a place, but often there are better options.  

Here is an example of the oil:  https://www.amazon.com/Mother-Earth-Mont...B001RPVUCY

What plants are you trying to control them on?  If it is a landscape tree, I'd use imidacloprid soil drench right around the base of the tree.

If it is on smaller plants that you can spray, bifenthrin does a good job on many insects.

If they are just wanting to spray your lawn with hort oil for spotted lantern fly control...run, don't walk, away from them.  Not necessary or beneficial or effective.  they either don't know what they are doing or are ripping you off.  I'd do business with neither.
I realized I should add a note about timing:

If you really want to do something NOW, bifenthrin is probably the best option, but not for long, and it won't be as effective as it would have earlier in the summer.  Very soon they will lay their eggs.  Eggs have a coating on them, so destroying those with a contact insecticide is difficult.  Hort oil is the best option for attempting that.

Systemic (imidacloprid) can be applied late fall or in the spring.  Most pests will see almost equal control with either timing.  I generally do spring applications (but haven't treated for this pest...we don't have it yet).  Spotted lanternfly hatches late enough - Spring is probably the best bet.  You could also use dinotefuran for systemic treatment (spring), but it is significantly more expensive and doesn't last as long as imidacloprid...it does move into the plant quicker though.

*Note:  I wouldn't treat any plant that you are going to eat from with the systemics.  Some are labeled for it...I just wouldn't.
Thanks Joe. These are ornamentals and bradford pare. I was curious if these plants are even something they would feed on
I haven't seen info about them on Bradford pear. If they only fed on Ailanthus (a primary host...) and Bradford pear (maybe a minor host?) , we'd be paying to spread them! But they also hit fruit trees and grapes, so that is a no go.
Might be hard for an unlicensed person to pick up neonicotinoids.

Just sayin'...
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

I wasn't planning on doing it myself. Our lawn care co. Offers this service, but if i dont have host trees I'm not sure it makes sense.
(09-26-2018, 04:39 PM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: Might be hard for an unlicensed person to pick up neonicotinoids.

Just sayin'...
Meh...not that hard.  Neither imidacloprid or dinotefuran are restricted use in most states.  I know NY has some restrictions...
(09-26-2018, 06:13 PM)whatline Wrote: I wasn't planning on doing it myself. Our lawn care co. Offers this service, but if i dont have host trees I'm not sure it makes sense.

Host list here...

Pear is not on that list.

If they are even offering you the service and you don't have any listed host plants, I'd honestly not trust them to treat any pests on any ornamentals.  Like I said, they either don't know what they are doing (yet still sell it) or know exactly what they are doing and are trying to sell an unnecessary service.  Is this True Green?  They'll sell anything to anybody...needed or not.
Yes Joe you nailed it and i had suspicions so I'm glad i asked. Thanks again