trying to fix a Jessum router table...........
[Image: _001_zps7tq9x4w3.jpg]

The drive sprocket broke and I'm trying to replace it without harming the threads on the rod...That locking nut is very tough to remove...

The other end is in a bearing captured by the housing....

Any ideas, folks.....

Andrew
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
I'd be tempted to put an impact wrench on the lock nut and try to hammer it a few times. I'd be looking more for vibrations and impacts than actual torque.

I'd try to squeeze the broken sprocket with a pair of vice grips (and in turn hopefully hold the rod) and try turning the nut again.

I'd try a vice grip with a couple of "soft jaws" (wood scraps, rubber, vinyl, etc) and hold the rod right down beside the nut. Then try to unscrew the nut.

If I get desperate, I might try melting the nylock part out of the nut. This might let it go free.

They also make a thing called a nut splitter. Could be useful if you happen to have one.

Maybe put some anti-seize on a new lock nut if you ever get this one off.
It looks like you have threads that need to remain smooth-running over a broad range, and plastic parts that would be damaged by heat. I would use hardwood, drilled and then cut in half through the hole to make blocks for gripping the rod to try to turn off the nut. If that doesn't work, cutting the nut with an angle grinder so you can split it in half to release the rod might be safest. Are you sure you can disassemble the rest sufficiently once the nut is off, or is there another sticky spot?
I'd start by calling Jessum and ask how they would go about it.  If they offer nothing, I'd probably try cutting it with a Dremel.   

John
(09-28-2018, 07:27 AM)Humanbackhoe Wrote: The drive sprocket broke and I'm trying to replace it without harming the threads on the rod...That locking nut is very tough to remove...

The other end is in a bearing captured by the housing....

Any ideas, folks.....

Andrew

Is it possible they use some thread locker of some sort that requires heat to remove?  I'd be tempted to try heating it a little bit.  You can always replace it if its a nylon locker, and if its steel the heat shouldn't hurt it. You can wrap a wet rag around everything lower down and that should keep the heat from migrating down to the other bits.
(09-28-2018, 07:27 AM)Humanbackhoe Wrote: DieselDennis....."I'd try a vice grip with a couple of "soft jaws" (wood scraps, rubber, vinyl, etc) and hold the rod right down beside the nut. Then try to unscrew the nut.

This is a simple solution that I failed to see. Will try this at dawn...thank you.
Andrew

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
(09-28-2018, 09:50 PM)mad_planter Wrote: Is it possible they use some thread locker of some sort that requires heat to remove?  I'd be tempted to try heating it a little bit.  You can always replace it if its a nylon locker, and if its steel the heat shouldn't hurt it.  You can wrap a wet rag around everything lower down and that should keep the heat from migrating down to the other bits.

Good stuff, Mad, especially the bit about a wet rag. I never would have thought of that.

Thanks everyone, I am confident these solutions will get that rod removed.

What a wonderful forum
Yes

Andrew

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013